My wife is going to church!

by tdogg 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

rekless is right about the 10% tithe. There are friends of mine that left the Mormon church years ago. They were asked by the church to produce their tax returns on two occasions to see if they were indeed giving the 10% the church asked for. A freind of my wifes that was a Mormon that worked in the hospital in Auburn California sold their home because of getting behind in their tithe and used some of the proceeds to get current with the church.

The lengths people will go to in order to support a religion!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Get the video on Mormons either from Randy or Lorri Macgregor- it has helped many

• detective
    detective

Tdogg,
    you can also try www.exmormon.org

• monkey
    monkey

www.ldstalk.com has a message board like this for ex mormons and mormons to debate gospel issues

• Scully
    Scully

One of my nursing school classmates grew up in a Mormon family. She had been kicked out of her parents' home when she'd been caught smoking and was "ex-fellowshipped". They practice shunning the same way JWs do.

She eventually quit smoking and got herself reinstated. But then she started dating a non-Mormon fellow, and was quickly "ex-fellowshipped" again. Apparently the second "ex-fellowshipment" is a permanent one.

Emotionally, she was a wreck from the roller-coaster ride they put her on, although her reinstatement period was very brief. All she had to do was go to the church elders and tell them that she had quit smoking, and it was maybe a week afterward - at the next meeting - they announced her reinstatement.

Love, Scully

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Here's a quick reference to 17 points of Mormon looneyism:

http://www.helpingmormons.org/17_little_known_facts.htm

Tom

"At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do"
    --Bob Dylan
  • Salud
    Salud

tdogg,
    I pioneered in Bountiful, Utah from from '86-'91 and I found the mormon people to be nice at the doors, but it was out of common courtesy since they have misionaries preaching as well. In my exp. and insight on the LDS church is that the three things that drive this religion is sex, money, and power, sometimes in that order. I consider them a cult and very decptive and hypocritical in their approach. Their members are decieved just as the Witnesses are. Do what you can to discourage your wife, but in the end it is her choice. Hang in there.
    Salud

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

thanks for all the advise and information on the mormons....I specifically asked if they disfellowshipped or ex-communicated people and was told they don't.

and that planet thing....damn...that's way out there.

Think I'll stay with my standard attendance to the non-denom church on Sundays.

• tdogg
    tdogg

nativenyr23: Yes they do ex-comm people. They are not as strict as the JW's. Usually it takes open critisism of the church to get the axe and even then they may not, unless you are gay, then goodbye. It is hard to get out once you are in, you have to send a letter, maybe several in order to get off the rolls (all the Mo to JW converts have to do this). Since you are baptised at 8 years old you are a member even if you dont go when you are older (folks known as "jack-Mormans).

Thanks for the support all, and thanks for the link Neon(more ammo for the impending war).

Everyone is free to choose what they believe but if you know anything about Mormanism then you know that a woman married to a non-believer has little future in the Celestial Kingdom. And I also will not allow my children to be brainwashed, especially after what I went through as a JW child.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I would let her be......maybe they're the true church......how much would that suck if you "Saved" them now only to learn later it was not a good idea.......At the very least take it easy with her, do some studying, find out for yourself. And if it's not the true church what's the worst that can happen? you trip over a Book of Mormon every once in a while? They may be very into their religion, but from what I know of them they're no more wrong than anyone else, and certainly alot more normal that JW's! I do have quite a bit of information piled up here on the sect. Nothing really worthwhile though. My wife was going to the LDS church for a while, so I gathered several hundred articles, and I read them all. I can't really find a solid point to argue them on. They've never told a false prophecy, they do not hide child abuse, they do not shun (not like JW's do) and they love Christ.....what's so bad about that? My wife doesn't go anymore, but if she did it wouldn't bother me a bit, they're good people, and I know we get paranoid about organized religion, but we also have to keep a balance and not categorize everyone with the Watchtower.

RevMalk's 2 cents and more

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit