Did you watcht the Practice last night?

by Venice 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Venice
    Venice

I didn't but there's been a lot of talk about it on H2O and other boards. Here's the opening post on H20.

02/12/01 7:02 AM

HOLY COW! Did you see "The Practice" on TV last night?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Man, what a bang. The whole damned program was about Jehovah's Witnesses. The one lawyer, (can't remember names but she's black) is hurt in the explosion. When all the lawyers get to the hospital, the mother shows up and says, now get this "...and doctor, NO BLOOD".

At that point, my JW wife's ears perked up. We were glued to the television. The other lawyers all go to court to try to force blood. Then it all starts coming out.

I am surprised that I am the first to post on this subject. I imagined that I would get up this morning to find the board littered with talk about it.

For those who don't know what THE PRACTICE is all about, it is a weekly, one-hour show about lawyers. It's very popular, and I know that when I go to work, it's gonna be hard to avoid the talk.

You see, I am a JW also, but of course I am different in that I am not brainwashed anymore. I am merely trapped and hoping for a way out.

If next weeks program (the show was To Be Continued) is what I hope is going to be, then the lady lawyer who was injured, (who's mother says she's a JW but she's really not because she's had an abortion etc)lives, then she will spill it all on national TV.

The head lawyer called the JW doctrine "VOO DOO"! I am hoping that this is going to really, really, really hurt the WTBTS.

I hope that she recovers and tells the whole world what a sham the Washtower Fable and Act Society is.

Oh, just one more point of irony. In an effort to prove that the unconscious and blood-needy woman lawyer is not really a JW, the head lawyer asks the mother (on the stand) if she was aware that her daughter had an abortion. The stunned mother says "NO..."

Now. The mother spends the entire show trying to convince the court that the daughter really is a JW, but if it's true, then as soon as the local elders would get a hold of the information that she had an abortion, they would disfellowship her anyway.

So. If she lives, blood or not, then she'll get the boot. What an irony that the mother can spend all this time convincing the court that her unconscious daughter is a devout JW, only to get her disfellowshipped because she's had an abortion!

I cannot, absoluetly cannot wait till next Sunday night.

http://www.coolboard.com/msgshow.cfm/msgboard=25212130276676&msg=69052098768&page=1&idDispSub=32339594032428

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hubby and I saw it :) It was funny in that I have never even seen that show before, but for some reason we caught it last night. And how about the one month early baby the one lady had at the end? lol! It looked like it was a three month old full term baby <with no umbilical cord I might add> anyhow.....

Got a kick out of the Jehovahs witness lady quoting the scripture from leviticus and it was a king james bible she was quoting from :) Guess the shows writers couldn't get their hands on a NWT.

I thought that they handled the plot line, as far as the JWs go pretty well. I was suprised that they didn't jump all over the JW's belief system and vote all the way for the lawyer who was objecting. Thought they were pretty tactful, showing both sides feelings. Don't get me wrong....I'm an on my out JW who is fed up with the back pedalling and hypocrisy in the *disorginazation* but I still thought the writers did a good job with that episode, showing the turmoil that people in that situation go through.

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Venice

Thanks much for posting - I was watching the show and fell asleep - mad at myself for doing so. I didn't know what happened after the mom took the stand - and didn't know it was to be continued. Didn't see the liaison committee at the hospital, he,he. Thanks for the link (not registered myself) - going over there now - to see what has been posted.

• waiting
    waiting

Man...... am I the only one who had nothing to do but really watch that show? It's one of my favorites, btw.

Rebecca (young black woman atty) was terribly hurt in a bomb explosion, in coma, needing blood transfusion, heart erractic, etc. Mother announces to doctor - No Blood Transfusion, in front of lawyers. The matter of taking blood components and blood expanders was never mentioned as an alternative to the best of my memory.

The interesting points, imho:

1. Rebecca & mother have been estranged for 12 years. Daughter does not live at home.
    2. Rebecca does not attend KH.
    3. Rebecca does not carry blood card nor has stated at any time that she would not take blood.
    4. Rebecca saluted the flag, and said the words at being sworn in as an attorney - mother & lawyers saw it.
    5. Rebecca had premarital sex & abortion, unknown to mother, but known to her friends.
    6. Mother was portrayed as a nurse, calm & cool in the face of demanding her daughter's death if necessary
    7. The judge agreed to a hearing I thought within one hour to produce evidence from both sides. However, mother produced affidavits from old KH cong. saying that others remembered Rebecca as a sister. If mother had time to go talk to people, write up something, legally witnessed and/or notorized, why didn't she have time to have Hospital Liason Committee go with her to Court?
    8. Lawyer for mother was not said to be a JW.
    9. Hospital Liason Committee was never mentioned.

The attitudes of jw's have already been brought out as portrayed as fanatical, voodoo, and can have all kinds of viewpoints contrary to the WTBTS as long as they don't take blood transfusions. JW's were portrayed as quiet, determined closed minded people.

Looking forward to next week.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 12 February 2001 13:22:44

• Angharad
    Angharad

We don't get the practise that I know of in UK.

A few years ago we had an epsiode of Qavener QC, which is about a barrister.

It was about a boy who had been brought up JW, but was not baptized and he needed blood.

The witnesses came off quite badly in the program, it made JW's look like a whako cult.

In one scean the elders decided to get the boy baptized so there would be more of a case for them when they went to court. So they were gathered in a darkly lit room, around a little pool with candles burning.

It made everything seem very weird

Edited by - angharad on 12 February 2001 13:26:20

• RR
    RR

I am an avid 'the practice' watcher, and was quite surprised to know that Rebecca was a JW, no doubt an inactive. Personally, I thought they handled the subject matter quite well, the writers did their history, unlike the episodes in 'ER' where it was stated that JW's would not go to heaven if they had a transfusion.

The argument by the mother was that the issue of blood was a fundamental belief among JW's despite the fact that Rebecca had an abortion, had premarital sex, etc. And I believe this is true. My sister-in-law [brothers wife] was raised a JW, here and her wsix siblings, smoke, drank, used drugs, had sex, did it all, and at the same time talked about 'jehovah.' despite their sins, blood was a "no-no."

The ending was surprising, when they had held hands to pray at Rebecca's bedside, this would constitute interfaith, something JW's do not approve of, however considering the circumstances, I believe every little prayer helps.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey RR,

I thought of that prayer thing too. However, we've been "taught" (I don't know how - one of those things jw's just know) that we can show respect for someone saying prayer, just not pray along.

I was surprised at the holding hands, but they do that in incest groups - I had to hold hands or look like a frigid geek. I held hands, but wouldn't bow my head nor say prayer.

The hoops we jumped through to be different.

waiting

• larc
    larc

RR,

I half dead brain cell that stored a memory was triggered when you mentioned a previous show. If it was the same one, I think they also mentioned going to hell if they took blood. I was thinking at the time: why don't they hire someone like you or me or Waiting or anyone on this board, fly us to California, put us in a first class hotel and pay us a thousand dollars an hour so they could get it right.

On a sadder note, anyone here could have told the government how to deal with David Koresh at Waco. What a tragedy. What a stupid waste of human life. My heart cried that day.

• RR
    RR

Yeah, you're right, David Koresh was a "stupid waste of human life."

• mommy
    mommy

RR,
    David Koresh did what he believed in and died for it. It may appear stupid in your eyes, but you didn't really control his life did you?
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit