Need info, please

by FreeFallin 7 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Sometime during the past 2 days I read a post about JWs and co-dependancy. I have searched for 2 hours and can't find it. A book was mentioned about the type of personality attracted to JW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FreeFallin

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

FreeFallin,

I don't know about a book mentioned here, but animal suggested on another post to look up: Do a web search on google.com for codependet+ACOA.

Maybe this will help.

With all the different personalities here on the board, I don't know how one type would be attracted to the jws.

Let me know if this isn't it.
    j2bf

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

There are two books that fit your description.

One is by morrisamb, you can check through his threads for more info, better yet maybe he will post here if this thread can stay ON PAGE 1 FOR FIVE MINUTES...

The other is "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness by Diane Wilson--I swear I will put up a review sometime soon. Her book deals a little with JW personalities. Morrisamb's book may have something on that in it too, I don't recall.

Hope this helps.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Joy and Dung Beetle,

Thank you very much. I will check out your suggestions.

FreeFallin

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Maybe it was this thread by Amazing? http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=25664&site=3#327408

In it Amazing mentions this book: Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics by Herbert L. Gravitz and Julie D. Bowden, Copyright 1985.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Nathan Natas

Thank you for the link by Amazing, it was very informative, but not the one I was looking for. I did not realize that ACOA referred to children of alcoholics. Just one more piece of the puzzle that explains why I am this way.

Coming to this forum has raised my awareness tremendously about myself, not just the JW problem. Thank you all.

FreeFallin

• Scully
    Scully

This probably is not the one you're looking for, but it's very interesting just the same.

http://www.excult.org/nlc.html

Following the article and its bibliography is this:

LIBERATING TRUTHS:

1. All controlling groups have a view of God, self and others that at best is restrictive and controlling and, at worst, abusive and destructive.

2. Our view of God, ourselves and others is interconnected and greatly affects our actions and interactions.

3. When Jesus said we should love our neighbor as ourselves, He assumed that we do love ourselves.

4. We need to take off the "mask" of lies that we have allowed to be placed over our true selves and look into the "mirror" at the true self that God created and loves.

5. Loving ourselves is not narcissistic or egocentric, but the starting point to enable us to love others as ourselves.

6. We don't have to get our power or worth at the expense of another's.

7. When we see others in truth and love, we want to strengthen, uplift and support, not control and subjugate.

8. A healthy way of relating to others is based on interdependence (realizing each other's worth and value), not codependence (based on control or being controlled).

9. It helps to see the true spirituality and honor in providing for and nurturing one's family.

10. There is no greater liberation from being controlled and controlling others than in embracing the truth that one is unconditionally loved, completely forgiven and totally accepted.

Love, Scully

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Scully,

Thank you very much for the link...I printed it out in its entirety,
    very informative and calls for a lot of introspection.

Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit