Anyone else work from home?

by confusedandalone 18 Replies latest social family

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

If so, how are you enjoying it compared to maybe sitting in an office or going outside the home for work. I use to work in the office environment but after starting up my own thing with the with we eventually got office space. Then as we grew we have decided to leave the office space for the employees and work from home.

I am sure it is not as exciting working from home but the wife disagrees. What do yuou guys prefer and why

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

It is better to work at the office not at home, you would be more motivated that way.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Iamallcool I seem to work longer hours and get aboput the same amount of work done which is sad. I actuially creating a legendary workstation for myself so now I waste time tinkering and playing when I should be working. My wife on the other hand seems to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more productive than I am.

I am thinking of going back in a few days a week just to test the theory.

• tec
    tec

Working from home requires a LOT of self-discipline. If you have that, great.

It is very easy to get caught up in doing something else at home, other than work. People can also take advantage of it, thinking there is no reason why you can't run extra errands or do extra housework or talk on the phone for hours, lol... but if you did all those things from an office, you would never get any work done. Same as if you accept all those extras from home.

Obviously there are great advantages to working from home also. You just need the discipline, and perhaps some established boundaries that others can respect, regarding your time.

Peace,

tammy

• Giordano
    Giordano

My wife and I worked from our home and studio for over 30 years we loved it. I had always wanted to work at home.

We are artists and eventually became very successful exhibiting our photography at nationally ranked art festivals, through galleries and museums.

I had my own darkroom with color processing equipment and an available light (big glass windows) shooting studio.

We each worked on separate bodies of images and I was always excited creating new images. In the matting and framing studio I had my music, TV and computer. I didn't have to be concerned that I was bothering anyone. I also listened to auto books when doing repetitive work.

I always felt like I wasn't wasting my time sitting in traffic commuting or being A JW and with that kind of time saved I could put in a 60 to 70 hour week with ease and still spend time with my wife.

Since we created our own product and drove to our events I seldom needed workers never more then family member part time.

All the artists I knew worked at home or had built studio's next to their home.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I work from home. Its convenient, work is always there and always 'not there' too.

Working in an office has advantages too. Its easy to ask what someone else thinks of an idea.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

tec - " Working from home requires a LOT of self-discipline. If you have that, great."

I do not have any in regards to working. I am not able to sit down and just work. I also do not necessarily require 8 hours of work a day so me putzing around is kinda acceptable. I just feel at times I should be doing something. LOL. Then again maybe I should just be happy that I can take time for myself to just fart around at times.

Giordano - " My wife and I worked from our home and studio for over 30 years we loved it. I had always wanted to work at home."

It was always my wifes dream as well. She is driven like a beast. Prior to this I worked as a software engineer and it was hell. I would work 10-12 hours a day and longed for the time I could work less. Now that I can I feel sorta guilty. Maybe I should just stop feeling guilty LOL

30 years BRO... O my god that is awesome

• Giordano
    Giordano

"Working from home requires a LOT of self-discipline."

Tec is right. What helped me stay on track was the amount of money one could lose doing a two or three day event if you didn't have everything you needed on hand.

I also worked standing up and moving around a lot of the time. So i was jazzed up during the work day. And I had a lot of pride at the quality of work I was producing.

• tec
    tec

Then again maybe I should just be happy that I can take time for myself to just fart around at times.

Yes! Yes you should, lol. If working from home is working our just fine for you because you are able and you CAN 'fart around at times'... then great! So maybe just enjoy the break/rest that you have been given... you don't know how that rest and strength and time might come in handy for other things.

Peace,

tammy

• Robert7
    Robert7

I work in sales for a technology company, and have been working from a home office for over 6 years. Personally I love it. I get so much more time in my life by taking out the morning and evening routines and drive. I can easily run errands, go to the gym, or whatever I want during the day. I wake up later than my 8th grade daughter does to get ready for school!

Yes, you have to be very self disciplined. You also have to accept that you will not have a local set of workmates to associate with. On the positive, you miss out on office politics.

It can get a little lonely, but I travel regularly for work, so it all balances out. I hope to work from home for a long time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit