Faithful Daughter Shuns Aging Mother

by Etude 13 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very funny, I think it is extreme enough to make it obvious it's satirical. Having said that some posters haven't got onto some of the satires on this site yet. I suppose some of them are too subtle.

Well done Etude, made me smile - Kate xx

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

Etude, That example was probably a lie

and most JW'S believe it like they do

all their false Doctrines. My Daughter

has been shunning me for 3 years. I will never

go back. It does bother me because I raised her in

that cult. My son is out but she has told me

(before I got DF) she was never leaving.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Any sufficiently sophisticated parody of fundamentalism is indistinguishable from the real thing.

• Etude
    Etude

I don't know how true that account is. It just seemed to me that it's much like many instances I've heard about and situations the WTBTS itself uses to convince that the shunning practice works and can make people return. Here are a few examples:

"The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: 'Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man.' " —1 Corinthians 5:11. http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1988/4/15/article_01.htm

From the same article as I cited above, consider how the practice of alienation is encouraged:

“Lynette's sister later told her: 'If you had viewed the disfellowshipping lightly, I know that I would not have taken steps toward reinstatement as soon as I did. Being totally cut off from loved ones and from close contact with the congregation created a strong desire to repent. I realized just how wrong my course was and how serious it was to turn my back on Jehovah.'

In another case, Laurie's parents were disfellowshipped. Yet she says: 'My association with them never stopped but increased. As time went on, I became more and more inactive. I got to the point of not even attending meetings.' Then she read material in The Watchtower of September 1 and 15, 1981, that stressed the counsel of 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 and 2 John 9-11. "It was as if a light bulb were turned on in me," she writes. 'I knew I would have to make some changes. I now better understand the meaning of Matthew 10:34-36. My decision was not an easy one for my family to swallow, for my son, five, is the only boy, and they love him dearly.' It is hoped that losing such association will touch the parents' hearts, as it did Margaret's. Still, the discipline involved helped Laurie: 'I am back out in the field ministry. My marriage and family are stronger because of my change, and so am I.' ”

The example is designed to show how shunning within a family works. No kidneys donated in the story, but the situation and the pain is the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit