evolution vs God mr comfort

by unstopableravens 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Perhaps not, but the creator can be dispatched with a quick flick of Occam's razor-cofty

Nonsense cofty, which has the fewest assumptions, evolution with or without God? That depends on the individual. If you knew as much about Shrodinger's wave equation as I do you may change your mind.

Love Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Prologos - I take your point. God has retreated from biology, he is still hanging on in biochemistry, but he has a long future ahead in cosmology. I doubt that will be resolved in my time.

Kate - I can smell that red herring all the way up here. Off to bed.............

• adamah
    adamah

Prologos said-

There is no conflict between a possible creator and the process of evolution

The hell there isn't!

It's not MY Holy Book that says God created all animals and humans on Earth as completed works, "according to their kinds". That implies "fixed" and finished creations that don't change, where such change is found as the very cornerstone of the theory of evolution: species can and DO change over time, sometimes in order to form new species (or 'kinds').

But if you're willing to overlook that MAJOR inconsistency with the Bible's scriptural passage, then suit yourself.

Heck, you might even use the ever-popular excuse of Bible literalists everywhere once they are forced to reconcile the Bible's theology with evidence from science: "Oh, that part's not meant to be read as literal, only metaphorical".

I'll then be waiting to ask you to explain what meaning the metaphor is supposed to convey.

(sound of crickets chirping)

Adam

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

adamah - "...you might even use the ever-popular excuse of Bible literalists everywhere once they are forced to reconcile the Bible's theology with evidence from science: 'Oh, that part's not meant to be read as literal, only metaphorical'."

Problem is, science, medicine, and history's rate of collective advancement has cranked into overdrive in the past half century, resulting in more and more scripture being reclassified as metaphor, myth, or just plain wrong.

Why else do you think fundies feel so threatened and are so drawn to apocalypticism?

From their point of view, the End of the World followed by a clean slate is the only way they could ever get the toothpaste back in the tube.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit