Following Hassan's Book: Chapter 1

by ILoveTTATT 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi all,

I think to the benefit of all, I will write my comments of Steven Hassan's latest book, Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs.

You can purchase the book in Amazon.com, there is a Kindle version which is very handy since you can read it wherever you have internet connection, or if you have an iPhone, an iPad, android phone, etc.

You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Mind-Helping-Controlling-Beliefs-ebook/dp/B008HAIWIW/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1384750710&sr=8-1&keywords=Freedom+of+mind

The first chapter talks about determining whether a particular group is a cult.

"Destructive cults are distinguished by their use of deception and extreme influence."

Do JW's fit the bill? ABSOLUTELY.

Consider these quotes from the Watchtower Publications (with help from www.jwfacts.com):

"Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world's time of the end and that "the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men" has drawn near." Watchtower 1993 Aug 15 p.9

vs. the reality:

"THE "Time of the End," a period of one hundred and fifteen (115) years, from A.D. 1799 to A.D. 1914, is particularly marked in the Scriptures. "The Day of His Preparation" is another name given to the same period " Studies in the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come p.23

So there, very simply... JW's use deception.

How about "extreme influence"?

The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. God feeds his own people, and surely God uses those who love and serve him according to his own will. Those who oppose The Watchtower are not capable of discerning the truth that God is giving to the children of his organization, and this is the very strongest proof that such opposers are not of God's organization." Watchtower 1931 Nov 1 p.327

Someone who claims that opposing them is opposing God? I consider this "extreme influence", IMHO.

Other factors:

Authoritarian Leadership? YEP

Deception? YEP

Destructive Mind Control? --> "immersing people in a tightly controlled, high-pressure social environment... they limit their access to outside information" YEP

Therefore --> JW's are a destructive cult.

There are four types of cult: Religious, Political, Therapy, Commercial. JW's are, obviously, in the "Religious cult" category. "In some, an elite group claims to know the real meaning of Scripture"... YEP! JW's do that. A lot.

I guess another, fifth type of cult, that Hassan didn't mention directly, is the one-over-one relationship. People can act like destructive cults.

Then Hassan goes into more detail on the Common Characteristics:

"Exclusivity/Isolation: Manipulation, deception, dependency and isolation, all other churches are dead and unspiritual, recruit spends his back on all his friends

Abuse of power: Threatening prophecies, cult leader or leadership asks for money and property"

Then Hassan describes his Strategic Interactive Approach, which is different than his previous books or methods. It is better because it not only worries about getting the cult member out of the cult, but it also takes care of solving other issues that might exist in the family like lack of trust or others, that help created the problem in the first place, or that would make it hard to get the cult member out of the cult.

I really like this quote:

"Real love is stronger than conditional love... The member will realize that your love is unconditional, while the cult's 'love' depends on their meeting expectations and goals'"

Then he talks about doing preparatory work, thinking strategically, and having goal-oriented communication.

One needs to learn about cults, as much as possible. Also, one needs to learn how to think strategically, to sloooowly get the cult member's trust and work towards opening up his/her mind.

That's the first chapter!!

Tomorrow I will talk about the second one.

I hope you like this! (I also hope that I am not infringing any copyright laws... please purchase the book, it is an invaluable aid!!)

ILTTATT

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ILoveTTATT, I'm glad that you are reading Steve Hassan's book. He has a lot of good ideas and rereading his books can help people to understand even more.

I'm curious why you wrote JW's are a cult. Dangerous cults like to use cult speak so that words can have multiple meanings. I prefer to refer to the Watchtower organization as the WTBTS and to individual Jehovah's Witnesses as JWs. The WTBTS would probably like that JW's refers to Jehovah, the organization, and to individuals so that JWs feel there is no difference.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DS211
    DS211

Good point Robert...however i do see ILTTAT's point tho because each JW is capable of converting another

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Thanks for your summary

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I have no problem seeing JWs as a destructive cult. However trying to convince individual JWs that their precious religion is a cult is next to impossible and generally proves counter productive.

Perhaps a more effective strategy would be to show them examples of contradictory WT quotes like those provided in the first post and ask which one is true.

"Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world's time of the end and that "the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men" has drawn near." Watchtower 1993 Aug 15 p.9

"THE "Time of the End," a period of one hundred and fifteen (115) years, from A.D. 1799 to A.D. 1914, is particularly marked in the Scriptures. "The Day of His Preparation" is another name given to the same period " Studies in the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come p.23

Also asking them "Columbo style" to support individual WT quotes like the following similarly from the primary post might prove effective as well.

The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. God feeds his own people, and surely God uses those who love and serve him according to his own will. Those who oppose The Watchtower are not capable of discerning the truth that God is giving to the children of his organization, and this is the very strongest proof that such opposers are not of God's organization." Watchtower 1931 Nov 1 p.327

• KateWild
    KateWild

ILT,

Thanks, very much for this review. I was going to buy "Releasing the bonds" today.

solving other issues that might exist in the family like lack of trust or others, that help created the problem in the first place-ILT

I have trust issues, and my kids are suffering other after effects. Like trying to build a new circle of friends, and feeling sadness at the loss of conditional friends. I may change my mind.

Anyone have any advice which to buy first?

Kate xx

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

KateWild - Anyone have any advice which to buy first?

Hi KateWild, What do you want to accomplish after reading Hassan's books? Have you read reviews by other readers on Amazon.com or some other seller to help you decide?

Steve Hassan's later books will probably contain more proven information than his first book "Combatting Cult Mind Control" as he refined his model/strategies. On the other hand "Combatting Cult Mind Control" does not include the WTBTS in the body of the book, because Steve Hassan was not aware of the WTBTS when he wrote that book. When I read the titles of Steve Hassan's books, I feel that his first book describes his personal experience being a Moonie and how he was helped to leave the Moonies, what is Mind Control, and how he helped clients overcome BITE control techniques. His second book is more about empowering people to critically think for themselves to free themselves from BITE control techniques. His third book is more about what individuals can do to help loved ones leave controlling people, cults and beliefs.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• rubbeng
    rubbeng

marked

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Agreed with Rob...

If you want the latest and greatest - the latest book...

If you need to show the book to someone - the first one. Does not mention JW's but mentions the BITE model and other ways to recognize a cult.

• KateWild
    KateWild

If you need to show the book to someone - the first one.-ILT

Goodpoint. I need to be delicate. I have bought Combating Mind Control. ILT, please continue with your review, I may also buy "Freedom of Mind" if I think you have found it useful. I am going to check your next thread on Ch2.

Thanks very much-Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit