How Do You Generally View People and Yourself?

by minimus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I tend to look at people and situations with a little bit of humor. I tend to feel that many view themselves as being better than they really are. People's perceptions are often skewered. Reality is not always what they say it is. I like people and enjoy them to a point. I enjoy my space and value independence. Maybe that might be a reason I like this place.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

How Do You Generally View People and Yourself?

With my eyes open!

• minimus
    minimus

I agree that you have to be street smart and not gullible. Too many people simply want to believe something is true or right because it makes them fel good.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Lol!! Yes, my little M&M! But, I do sometimes view others with rose colored glasses!

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

Before I became a JW: "I need to study hard, do my best, and become successful so that I can help my family and community in the future.."

While studying to become a JW: "Yay! Why did I not know these things before?! ... And they're so loving. "

As a JW, pre-TTATT: "Gosh, these people (referring to the "worldly" ones) ... "

As a JW, after knowing TTATT: " (Thunder, lightning, ground-shaking) Dear God, why did I put blind faith in all these things?! How gullible of me.. "

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i dont give it a lot of thought. i get on with most people but can't say i have a lot of friends, more female than male. my dog is pretty good, but has been known to attack me.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Never had many true friends. Got along with most of the JW's I've met over the years in several congregations, since I was a pleaser and always afraid of rejection. Since I've left the WTS there have been a few (worldly) people whom I came to care about deeply, but there are only three people in this world that I really trust from deep down inside of me and that I can rely on when it's really needed, and that's my children and my husband.

All the rest... I like a lot of people, even really love some, but I've been hurt by way too many to ever trust people again the way I used to. Too many people have used me for their own convenience, to 'get something' that I could provide but when I needed thém or their support... gone they were, dropped me like a hot brick. So how do I look at people? I like people, but don't let them come very close anymore.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well one thing that's different about me since I left the Jdumbs is that I am not paranoid that every non JW person I see is evil and I have so much more empathy for other people. Living in a big city though, I see a lot of very sad people who don't take any pride in themselves or their kids, and I think the biggest thing people lack in general is self esteem.

For myself, I am working on viewing myself as the person other people see-- I am a very nice & caring person, am reasonably attractive, am a little chubby but not fat. I tend to be really hard on myself and too easy on other people, but like I said I am working on it. I need to be easier on myself, and have better boundaries with other people who want to take advantage of my kindness.

• LV101
    LV101

I think all people have good/bad (ok, I'm being nice about that) and it's extremely difficult dealing with their bad at times. People can be so aggressive/manipulative and focused getting what they want and the nice, giver/guy gets bamboozled many times. Seems like it's takers/givers for the most part. I view myself as a giver (or so I've been told that I'm a soft target and too nice) and just have trouble carrying myself like a marine and a force to be reckoned with but I'm going to try harder.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Me - I love the person I am, I can be serious and fun, I can have silly and intellectual conversations. I really just am me when I meet people, don't put on any airs and graces, you like me or you don't - no skin off my back whichever you choose. My view on others: many are trying so hard to be something which they are not, they are so desperate to impress that they will fake who they are in order to get it. I don't see people being compassionate, I view most as superficial, detached and boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit