The Current State of the Watchtower & The Cynicism of Soviet Communism

by cofty 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting you should say that BOTR. I agree there is a chilling similarity between WT art and music and that of totalitarian regimes.

I admit to knowing nothing about the Orthodox Church but Putin is aligned with non-democratic governments. The big division in today's world is not between the west and radical Islam, it's between democracy and authoritarian power. The outcome is by no means certain.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

cofty - "The big division in today's world is not between the west and radical Islam, it's between democracy and authoritarian power."

If you wanna get nitpicky (), it's actually between egalitarianism and authoritarianism, but yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

On a related note, I don't worry too much anymore about fundamentalists (Muslim or Christian) taking over superpowers and plunging the world into chaos; religious authoritarianism in government, while highly destructive, seems to have a relatively short shelf life.

Secular authoritarianism, on the other hand, seems far more adept and efficient at long-term survival. Saddam Hussein's regime was one example; it lasted a quarter of a century.

I also personally consider present-day Russia (particularly under Putin's administration) to be fairly authoritarian, and it seems to be enjoying a considerable measure of success.

• cofty
    cofty

Russia + China = a huge authoritarian power.

By comparison fundamental Islam is a pest that is doomed by it's own stupidity.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

cofty - "By comparison fundamentalist Islam is a pest that is doomed by it's own stupidity."

You put that way better than I did.

• suavojr
    suavojr

What I learn from this book, is how similar JW's are with communism. Great thread as always cofty!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

suavojr - "What I learn from this book, is how similar JW's are with communism..."

And yet, paradoxically, the WTS displays many fundamental characteristics of American right-wing ideology, even though communism is traditionally leftist.

• prologos
    prologos

Putin was a KGP or whatever officer in the hotbed of discontent, Leipzig, when the turnover happened.

He must have learned well, and so have the OLY-capitalists, billionaires that suddenly appeared out of that state-owned economy.

will there be a parallel if WT shrivels, implodes?

Profeteers emerging, new strongmen dominating the fragments?

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Berlin Wall = WT Shunning policy. If they were to drop it, the whole religion would come tumbling down which is why they will never willingly do so.

• cofty
    cofty

That's a good catch Doubting Bro, I like that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Agreed.

Which suggests something I hadn't considered...

The WTS's strong-armed brandishing of the shun gun is making TTATT-aware JWs (who are still stuck in 'cause of their families and loved ones) steadily and increasingly resent and despise the Society (and the GB) for it; hell, we're seeing it expressed more and more right here at JWN on a daily basis; especially from newbies.

Historically, what have increasingly resentful populaces (who feel unable to escape) typically done with regards to authoritarian regimes?

If I were on the GB, I'd be worried.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit