the name Jehovahs Witnesses

by Crazyguy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Ok so Rutherford came up with the idea to change the name of the true religion of god to Jehovah's witnesses based in Isaiah 43. And of course ever since the rank and file witnesses have lovingly thought of themselves as gods chosen people. Well some one frogot to mention that in chapter 62 of Isaiah gods says his true followers will be called by a new name. Yes newer then the old name almost 20 chapters ago. Could the new name be described at Acts chapter 11? "they were first devinally called Christians at Antioch." Oh dear.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Interesting point to add to my collection.

Let's see, Christ said: "You will be witnesses of me."

You pointed out they were called Christians by divine providence.

Something else I recently found: Even God is a witness of Christ. See 1 John 5:9.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Repetition for emphasis - they were to be Witnesses of Christ, not Jehovah.

There isn't a single Greek scripture which says that Christians were to be Witnesses for God.

Matthew 10:18 - "YOU will be haled before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations.

Mark 13:9 - and YOU will be beaten in synagogues and be put on the stand before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them."

Acts 1:8 - "You will be witnesses of me;

John 1:15 - "John bore witness about him..." [JESUS]

John 5:37 - " the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me ."

John 8:18 - " the Father who sent me bears witness about me ."

John 15:26,27 - "the spirit of the truth, which proceeds from the Father, that one will bear witness about me; and YOU in turn, are to bear witness." [exactly as the spirit bore witness - about me ];

Acts 4:17,18 - Nevertheless, in order that it may not be spread abroad further among the people, let us tell them with threats not to speak anymore upon the basis of this name to any man at all. With that they called them and charged them, nowhere to make any utterance or to teach upon the basis of the name of Jesus.

Acts 10:39 - "And we are witnesses of all the things he [Jesus] did..."

Acts 10:43 - "To him [Jesus] all the prophets bear witness , that everyone putting faith in him gets forgiveness of sins through his name.

Acts 11:26 - "the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

Acts 13:31 - "and for many days he [Jesus] became visible to those who had gone up with him from Gal´i·lee to Jerusalem, who are now his witnesses to the people.

Acts 22:15 - "because you are to be a witness for him [Jesus] to all men of things you have seen and heard."

Acts 22:20 - "and when the blood of Stephen your [Jesus'] witness was being spilled..."

Acts 23:11 - "For as you have been giving a thorough witness on the things about me in Jerusalem..."

Acts 26:16 - "For to this end I [Jesus] have made myself visible to you, in order to choose you as an attendant and a witness.......respecting me "

1 Corinthians 1:6 - "even as the witness about the Christ has been rendered firm among YOU..."

1 Tim. 2:6,7 - "who [Christ] gave himself a corresponding ransom for all [this is] what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times. For the purpose of this witness I was appointed a preacher and an apostle..."

2 Timothy 1:8 - "Therefore do not become ashamed of the witness about our Lord.. [Christ ]"

1 John 5:9 - "the witness God gives is greater, because this is the witness God gives, the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son ."

Revelation 1:9 - "....came to be in the isle that is called Pat´mos for speaking about God and bearing witness to Jesus ."

Revelation 12:17 - "And the dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus ."

Revelation 17:6 - "And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus ."

Revelation 19:10 - "But he tells me: "Be careful! Do not do that! All I am is a fellow slave of you and of your brothers who have the work of witnessing to Jesus. Worship God; for the bearing witness to Jesus is what inspires prophesying."

Revelation 20:4 - "Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus."

• Giordano
    Giordano

'Christian Witnesses' is self explanatory instead they have to explain it by saying 'Jehovah God.'

I think it befuddled and alienated people at the door.

• pixel
    pixel

Rich and good information everyday on this website. Jw.org can't top that, oh no.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Wow searcher! Comprehensive list.. Good work!

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Its the reason I joined up here. Firstly to thank the diligent researchers for their work

and to perhaps add some insignificant detail on occasion.

Regards

JTD

P.S. I've lurked for some time ,,

• ABCXYZ
    ABCXYZ

Marked

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Searcher:

Thanks for that list.

Take Care

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

chapter 62 of Isaiah gods says his true followers will be called by a new name.

Don't know when but, this new Governing Body is making many "new light" changes. Name change to........... Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses most likely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit