The Liars' Gospel

by Ruby456 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

a wonderful uplifiting book I'm reading. It is the story of Jesus (Yehoshuah in the book) told from a jewish perspective and situated in jewish family and village life as it was then.

At one point in the book Jesus' mother wants to capture the moment and install it in eternity so she says to her companion, a young follower of Jesus(Yeshoshuah) who has come to visit her after his death and who wants to know about her son's life growing up

so Mary (Miryam in the book) after resisting the young man for a long period finally gives in at a point in the book when something magical happens between them drawing them close together as mother and son and so she relates what she knows is a lie but as it is a lie that brings her son back to her, a lie that comforts her and a lie that the the young man embraces with love and enthusiasm, she continues her story - the story of Jesus. In the book she says it is a story from her heart where the dead live - do you believe the story? she asks the young man - he say yes and she then replies "then my son Yeshoshuah lives in your heart" (p62). In reality she feels that her son Yehoshuah was different, perhaps even mad given to outbursts of anger and fits

The book begins with a graphic account of a lamb being slaughtered by the priest. I love the way the author writes - so gripping. Plus the story is so very plausible

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

no takers

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

it's an unfamiliar angle - okay very unfamiliar for us jws and xjws - but hey it is historically and politically accurate imo. also it is a compassionate empathetic sort of book -edit: emotional integrity is the phrase that sums up what I'm trying to say (despite only being at pg 62 - lol). It certainly does not try to be anti - christian

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

i thought perhaps tec and cofty might have been interested in a discussion

• tec
    tec

I have argued with Cofty enough over reality, I don't need to argue with him over fiction ; )

If the theme is that 'Jesus' is not the Christ, then it is still anti-christ(ian), no matter how kind and compassionate that denial is presented. I don't mean to take your enjoyment of the book away or anything. Just sayin'

Peace,

tammy

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

tec, the theme isn't that Jesus was not the Christ - rather the theme is how a Jesus type figure or figures could have become the Christ or even Christs. I get the feeling that you a little touchy on this subject - there is no need to be so

• tec
    tec

No, not touchy, but thank you for your concern. Just being truthful. I haven't read the book, myself, so I am only going off the bit you wrote about it.

Peace to you,

tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sorry for not responding sooner, ruby. I have an aversion to credible theories the farther they are from the event. Facts deteriorate over time. I've been looking, without success, for some examples.

In the first example, the sons of an unpopular leader in the middle ages died suddenly. Shortly after the leader died, rumors spread that he had poisoned his own sons. Archaeological evidence indicated that the sons died of disease. Less dramatic for sure, but there you go.

Another example is the story of Lady Godiva and her husband, which began two hundred years after her death. All we know about her and her husband (from documented evidence) is that they were generous benefactors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva

I also hate grassy knoll theories.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you liked this book I bet you would enjoy The Red Tent.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

tec - so was I - being truthful that is - ;) - I guess we have a difference of opinion then

i think I probably would enjoy that book, jgnat.

by grassy knoll theories do you mean conspiracy theories? If that's what you mean then you may have a point. On the other hand there is some current research that is credible and provides documented evidence and which supports Naomi Alderman's reconstruction. For example Justin Meggitt's new book The Madness of King Jesus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit