I got an e-mail from an old friend who read my book

by Terry 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Allan is an engineer who use to live in Fort Worth whom I met because of another fellow we both know who is a Professor.

All three of us a number of years back use to meet occasionally for the Fort Worth Movie Club.

Allan moved to Arizona and I've not seen him in a while.

This morning I got an e-mail from him. He told me he had left a review on Amazon because he had just read my book.

Now this you have to know about Allan, he is a very precise person.

In his e-mail he said he was counting off "one star's worth" of approval because I had underlined where I should have italicized.

That gave me a good chuckle. He is an engineer, after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out, Watch Tower, November 1, 2013 By A. Ostling (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews This review is from: I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon: A Prisoner of Conscience in a Time of War (Paperback) After reading this book you will hope that a Jehovah's Witness soon comes to your door. Not to argue with, but to save.

I knew Terry when I lived in Texas, but have not seen him since I moved to Arizona in 2001. We met for lunch a few times in Fort Worth, and once we drove around the neighborhood where he grew up. From our various conversations I learned about his boyhood there, and something about the tumult of his early adult years. But until reading this book I had no idea of the true horror of his incarceration at Seagoville Prison. Now I know why it took him forty years to publish the truth of it.

He writes in the tradition of Jack London, describing a demimonde of sordid characters. He strives for a stark account, and against this backdrop his emotional trauma stands out in relief. His assessment of The Watch Tower Society is scathing, although he shows a sympathy for those who are victims of the rigid ideology, as he once was. With this book I hope he is no longer a victim.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/m0rtslaw

and at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Wept-Rivers-Babylon-Prisoner-Conscience/dp/1492902063/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383391992&sr=1-1&keywords=i+wept+by+the+rivers+of+babylon+terry+walstrom

• KateWild
    KateWild

4 stars is good, yes engineers can be a pedantic bunch!! Kate xx

• Terry
    Terry

Allan collects old cheese as a hobby and he keeps a daily journal ala Marcel Proust.

He prints out maps and seeks the most arcane versions of them he can find, especially in old books. Interesting fellow.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes, unique and eccentric amoung other adjectives I won't post LOL!

• zeb
    zeb

another life stuffed up by the now its on now its off religion.

Hm of his 'mentors' ever visited him in the can?.Hm cared for his parents? what did they have in mind for him with the end of his sentence? Did they have in mind for him anything after his martyrdom?

We had co jailed in Australia for the same thing in the same war. While those not affected told the 'victims' what they should do.

Bros in one country can bribe the govt officals to get an exemption card(?) from Military service but in another country are urged to martyrdom all by the same wts.

I will not read this book for the sake of my health that is battered enough but all ex- jw should get a copy and keep it on hand to pass onto any young jw who may be finding themselves in the same situation.

• Comatose
    Comatose

"Nobody can tell you the story the way it really happened, I'm going to tell it the way I remember it."

I love that line! Just bought it. Really enjoying so far.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Old cheese? haha, never heard of it!

He left you a nice review Terry - let him know you are definitely "no longer a victim".

W

• suavojr
    suavojr

You know what? This book sounds interesting Terry and I am sure you will not disappoint. The line: "Nobody can tell you the story the way it really happened, I'm going to tell it the way I remember it." Made me laugh... What, you did not have the holy spirit to recall every single detail? lol

I will get my copy and let you know what I think with my review.

Kind regards,

Suavojr

• Terry
    Terry

The line: "Nobody can tell you the story the way it really happened, I'm going to tell it the way I remember it." Made me laugh... What, you did not have the holy spirit to recall every single detail?

Ha ha ha--well, at my age, I'm luck if I remember the way home!

Besides, I was almost paranoid about trying to be accurate--knowing some active JW with a chip on the shoulder would instantly seize upon

even the tiniest error as pretext to condemn the rest.

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

A very good read. Highly recommend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit