Sorry to be so negative.....

by ctrwtf 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Comatose
    Comatose

I'm not just trying to be annoying to SFPW... I have a feeling we are helping a future friend with him on here. You can't see the truth on here without it affecting you. Although the beginning stuff was annoying and painful, I think the end will be epic.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

"All the while, they choose the homes of the dead families that they will reside in when god vindicates their quest for superiority. They do so in the name of true christianity. How utterly vomit inducing."

This reminded me of an incident when I was a little boy, probably eight or nine years old. I was in service with an older sister. We came up to this really nice home and there were children about my age playing on the lawn. She said, "Just think, when Jehovah destroys this old system at Armageddon, I will be able to move into that house."

I asked, "What about the family that lives there now?"

"Oh," she replied, "They'll all be dead!"

I remember vividly those kids playing in that yard and thinking that it seemed kind of cruel. What did they do to deserve to die? What did she do to deserve living in their house?

Thankfully, her prediction did not come true and (it's my hope anyway) those kids on the lawn grew up to be happy adults. But really, just how ghastly is this religion anyway?

...and really, in all bitter honesty, what took me so long to get out?

CyrusThePersian

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks also for the opportunity to write (as I should have previously) that not all converts are self important lemmings. I also believe that there are and were people like LHG that were subject to the bait and switch. I also agree with her assesment that now, today, it should be difficult for anyone with access to the internet to be duped.-ctrwtf

I am glad you said that, I converted when I went to uni, from Judaism. A bit like Steven Hassan's story with the moonies. It was a change in location thing and family bonds of love that got me!!!

Kate xx

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

ctrwtf, you're right- that sums up a lot of what I felt when I was active. The arrogance that goes in hand with being part of the "in" group of future Armaggedon survivors was toxic.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We are ill-informed about something. What bothers me the most is the I'm perfect deference. It I'd well on the road to dictatorshipd such as the Nazis. Knowledge about WT doctrine and history (basic literacy, indeed) varies greatly among Witnesses. I do recall even as a preschooler finding YHWH absolutely immoral with bloodlust. Part of me felt bad for the collateral damage of ordinary humans who happened to belong to another nation or simply were capable of reading skills and wanted to follow their own faith, rather than the GB. I never saw Jehovah command us not to have moral values. The world, while not perfect was so much better than Bethel.

Bethel opposed such values a s law enforcement, health, public roads, democracies of all sorts, judicial systems, education. We all know the list. Yet never have they shown themselves capable of even Stone Age governance. They always hide behind human structures of community.

I was born apostate, full of questions. The concentration camps had stopped only a few years before my birth. Nuclear holocaust was more likely than A. Yet we are still here.

There will always be blind zealots in the world. These J W posters can serve to remind us that we cannot appease them. Critical thinking skills can be taught in preschool. Respect for cont rary views can also be t aught. I am certain if people had confidence to read any sacred text without dictators, the WT would sink. Many here blame all religion. I don't. There is social, communal strife, and ignorant bias dressed up as religion so political leaders prosper

How do you force people to see objective facts? I once thought the WT was merely stupid. No one I n power ever seemed to be an academic or even informed

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The subject you wrote about is what helped me to wake up. I even as a teen could not figure what was so special about me that I would survive yet a non JW will not just because they were not born into the religion???

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I was a social misfit teenager when I became a jw so you got that right about ill informed and misfit. On going to the kh I suddenly had all these friends! What lonely teenager who never really fitted in could resist that?

People become jws for many reasons and I've told you mine: also I really thought it would make god happy and make me happy too. A lot became jws not because they thought they were better or had or were catering to some sort of narcissism, but because they really thought it was the way to happiness, or attracted to the hope of justice and equality in the future (just as good people can be attracted to communism). They were surely ill informed and caught at a weak stage of their life. I know jws who deep down don't believe Jehovah is going to destroy their families just because they are not jws.

So please, while those who become jws are ill informed and are often misfits, don't assume they are all self righteous twats attracted by the elitism of the jws.

Edited to add, I saw what Kate and LHG said about the bait n switch n your agreement so thanks for that! Sincere people do convert because they are given nice bait, then the switch happens and you're their slave before you know it. Same with all cults.

• Stauros
    Stauros

I have really good friends that are J.W.'s There is nothing totally bad about this faith unless of course they are asking you to die by not recieving a blood transfusion. Other than that, they are like many other religions that feel they are the true faith. You will not find anything better. If so, point me in that direction......I bet you none of you can.

E.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Psssst.... Stauros, your name totally gives your affiliation away.

• Stauros
    Stauros

Psssst.... Stauros, your name totally gives your affiliation away.

No it doesn't, it's just a name I chose :) I am not affiliated with The J.W.'s.....I belong to GOD and no one else. I am here in cognito....shhhhh ;)

E.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit