"The Watchtower's Achilles' Heel"

by Doug Mason 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cha ching
    cha ching

Who else could re-appoint, overlook, and support a pedophile such as Campos, in San Diego CA?

"Only the truly annointed!" .. the GB appointed by Christ?

"By their fruits you will recognize them"

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder how many JWs stick with the religion -- not because they believe it all -- but simply because they believe everything else out there is worse.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Well done Doug- nice graphics too.

• besty
    besty

great article Doug

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Its a nicely presented article with some very interesting research, (although I don't agree with all of your points) but the argumentation is a bit too esoteric and would go straight go over the heads of most JW's. It's particularly offensive to JW's and most Christians to argue that we can't rely on the written NT record for historical reliability, as you have done.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Nice article Doug.

One thing I noticed, on page 3 you state, "In 1919, Jesus appointed the faithful slave “over all his belongings”—all his earthly Kingdom interests" and then cite The Watchtower, July 15, 2013, page 20 and the The Watchtower, January 15, 2014, page 14.

I have not yet studied the 1/15/14 WT in detail, but the the “New Light” explanation of the FDS in the July 15, 2013 Watchtower Study Edition says this:

• WHEN DOES JESUS ARRIVE, OR COME? - A further consideration of Jesus’ prophecy indicates that an adjustment in our understanding of the timing of certain aspects of Jesus’ prophecy is needed. … So it is reasonable to conclude that Jesus’ arrival to appoint the faithful slave over all his belongings, mentioned at Matthew 24:46, 47, also applies to his future coming, during the great tribulation. - Watchtower, July 15, 2013, p. 8, paragraphs 17 & 18 – [Italics in original, underlining added]

According to this BS "adjustment in understanding," Jesus did NOT appoint the FDS over his belongings in 1919.

The reference in the 7/15/13 WT on page 20 makes it clear that it was a prior "understanding" (aka "Old Light") about the FDS being appointed over Jesus' "belongings" in 1919:

• In the past, our publications have said the following: At Pentecost 33 C.E., Jesus appointed the faithful slave over his domestics. The slave represents all anointed Christians on earth as a group at any one time since then. The domestics refer to the same anointed ones as individuals. In 1919, Jesus appointed the faithful slave “over all his belongings”—all his earthly Kingdom interests. - [Emphasis added]

The paragraph then continues:

• "However, further careful study and prayerful meditation indicate that our understanding of Jesus’ words about the faithful and discreet slave needs to be clarified."

Evidently!

The box on page 14 of the 1/15/14 WT succinctly maintains the importance of the year 1919 in JW "theology" with the brief blurb:

• In 1919, Jesus appoints “the faithful and discreet slave”

But no mention is made of "belongings." In fact, a Key Word search shows that the word "belongings" does not appear anywhere in that issue of the WT.

Hey, it's all BS as far as I'm concerned. I just want you to get your facts straight. We don't want any JW apologists to accuse you of innacurate quote mining. (Can you say, "The Trinity brochure"?)

• Ding
    Ding

Given that JWs will believe whatever the GB tells them, why do they bother to change what they say happened invisibly in 1919?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Shanagirl,

I had a few reasons for selecting those backgrounds. They are stimulating, do not conform to WTS stylistic, and they are the product of mathematical precision. In the basic Mandelbrot figure, the image is repeated regardless of how many times it is magnified. Mentally challenging.

Search the www for Mandelbrot, (including images).

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Julia,

My background is not as useful as the window washers, who make life safer: I only taught basic electronics, telecommunications, and the theory and practice of hand soldering in that industry, as well as a technical writer.

My advantage over those who studied formal theology is that my mind has not become beholden to the ideas of a single stream of belief. I enjoy being confronted by challenging books written by thought-provoking authors. And then challenging myself.

I do not want anyone to agree with everything I write; rather, I want people to challenge themselves, without fear, and to develop their own positions - and allow others to have theirs. The WTS does not allow its followers that luxury (and it is not confined to them).

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Captain O,

Have you tried another browser (Firefox, etc.)?

If you still have problems, email me. You should find my address at: http://www.jwstudies.com/contact_me.html (provided your browser likes me!).

If that does not help, let me know here.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit