JW Unofficial App

by admirmitch 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• admirmitch
    admirmitch

So I'm sure everyone here knows about the new JW library app. I was looking around in Google Play at some different apps pertaining to the JWs. I found something a little different. It looks to be an app that deals with their changes. Here's the page for more info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watchtowerchanges&hl=en. This looks to be interesting.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

A friend and I talked a couple years back about developing a JW / WT reference app with all the best quotes from their literature for someone ti pull out and show them when trying to share TTATT... that would be stellar.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was talking to JW FActs about making an app too...l

• besty
    besty

I'm sure a side by side old and new NWT with zero commentary would be a winner - now that MeanMrMustard has done the legwork...

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I think there are copyright issues.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The biggest challenge would be having something that provides a solution to a problem that can't be easily solved in other ways.

For example, if JW Facts had an app, what would it offer that isn't possible by just opening a browser to their website?

Please believe me, I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am both an app developer as well as own a small software company focused on mobile and apps. I think I have talked more businesses out of building an app than I have actually built. Mobile and Apps are popular, but not every app is beneficial other than a little checkmark next to "Pursue mobile marketing".

Given that it is my main skill, I have given thought for how to use it to do my part in exposing the Watchtower, a few different directions I have come up with.

Also keep in mind that I view mostly all of them as free apps or where they have reoccuring monthly expenses to include advertising. I don't believe a "for profit" model would or should work.

A few ideas I have thought of, some just for fun, some to raise awareness.

1) Witness Witnesser - Focused on the general public. The Watchtower speaches are canned with predictable directions. Provide an app that provides an anti witness for the householder then Witnesses visit. It would be like a rebuttal to the "Reasoning From The Scriptures" book.

For example, if the Witness uses the typical "When Jesus gave a model prayer, he asked for God's Kingdom to come, have you ever wondered what that kingdom was?"

Being able to provide a rebuttal as handled here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/265792/1/How-I-recently-handled-JWs-at-my-door#.UnBlyFM_tLM

would be masterful. This would allow any ex/non/never JW to open up more eyes every day. Concerned family would have a tool they could use to to and try to deprogram a family member who is studying.

2) Apostate Bingo - Fun idea to have a game where the bingo squares are replaced by Watchtower jargon and you try to get a line as the speaker uses them. Could compete against friends or anonymous faders.

3) JWChat - A real time anonymous forum/chat client for those struggling with doubts or problems related to escaping either physically or mentally to get help. Targeted mainly towards younger Witnesses who can't use the computer to research and have problems unique to their own situation.

That is just a few ideas. An app could be good, but it would need to have a clear direction or purpose that makes it suited to being accessed mobilely.

There are many creative and experienced members here, if a really good idea comes up, I will build it (time permitting)

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

For example, if JW Facts had an app, what would it offer that isn't possible by just opening a browser to their website?

I have been working on an app for TTATT. I actually have about 80% of it done. The idea came, not because of the fact that thousands/millions of JWs will be searching for the new JW Library app on the apple app store.

I decided to make one because i wanted JWs to see the app on their results as they search for JW library in the apple app store. Perhaps a percentage will decide to install it.

The issue i have is that obviously, i don't have the time to compile research like some of the TTATT websites have done, so i contacted Paul at JWFacts and asked if he would be ok with having his website provide content for my app. I even offered to have my App be called JWfacts and be an extension of the website.

He has not responded yet - i'm even wondering if he is seeing my emails. If he never responds or declines sharing his content, i will still finish the app and load it on my Ipad only, because it's easier to navigate on a mobile device and you can be offline to access content.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit