AN INTERESTING THOUGHT EXPERIMENT

by Terry 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

The atheist wanted cremation, no religious ceremony of any kind and to have the ashes scattered in her family's backyard where her favorite

pets had been laid to rest during her childhood.

The Jew wanted an Orthodox Shiva and Kaddish ceremony and entombment in Jerusalem.

The Muslim wanted strict Islamic burial customs observed.

HOW COULD THIS PROBLEM BE SOLVED?

I don't understand the problem. The customs are for the living, not the dead. Just give each family a body to do as they wish and everyone is happy.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

So, Terry, who is correct?

Blender, intestinal exam, or it just does not matter. You asked the question, but now we are all in suspense. The suspense is killing us all.

• Terry
    Terry

Simon wins the blue ribbon.

Once you are dead, the funeral is for the consolation of the survivors. Each in his own way.

No possible harm is done by getting the remains mixed up since they are all the same DNA.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

No possible harm is done by getting the remains mixed up since they are all the same DNA.

But, Terry, that was not your original question. You question was HOW could the question be solved, not SHOULD the question be solved.

I feel cheated.

• adamah
    adamah

Terry said-

Once you are dead, the funeral is for the consolation of the survivors.

Not so quick there, fella! I feel gipped, too since that's your personal values you're citing!

Your answer might work for the atheist family (and those who are non-believers), but the Christian and Muslim are in heaven, limbo, etc and expecting their families will see that their molecules (not their siblings) are disposed of in accord with their wishes. Cremation is verboten by Jews and Muslims, and the possibility of cremation is not going to fly for either religious family....

Adam

• Terry
    Terry

But, Terry, that was not your original question. You question was HOW could the question be solved, not SHOULD the question be solved.

I feel cheated.

Well, it was a thought experiment and not a riddle.

I'll bet you can come up with something better than either I or Simon could. Get to work and surprise us!

• Terry
    Terry

Your answer might work for the atheist family (and those who are non-believers), but the Christian and Muslim are in heaven, limbo, etc and expecting their families will see that their molecules (not their siblings) are disposed of in accord with their wishes. Cremation is verboten by Jews and Muslims, and the possibility of cremation is not going to fly for either religious family....

Adam

The living create problems. The liviing can solve them. The dead can't be bothered by any of that.

The purpose of this thought experiment is to demonstrate this fact: WE CREATE OUR OWN PROBLEMS and we are the ones making them UNSOLVABLE simply by deciding on "rules" and "beliefs" which are impractical and impracticable.

I'm sure you can do a better job if you apply yoursel to it. It is open-ended. If you can create a solution I'm all for admiring it!

• adamah
    adamah

Terry said-

The living create problems. The liviing can solve them. The dead can't be bothered by any of that.

Sure, you and I accept that kind of thinking, but aren't you simply ignoring the fact that the great majority of Americans believe in a God (or Gods), and profess a belief in the hereafter?

As far as I'm concerned, this exercise shows the problems that arise from leading a life that's detached from reality, as different religions are an arbitrary construct of the imagination where the only thing that keeps them perpetuating is their momentum from the past.

Adam

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

An identical person from birth is still an individual by the standards of whom that person lived and grew up with.

Thats where the emotional attachment lies, how would you feel if you were to give a funeral to body of a person

who never met or even knew, even if you had foreknowledge that person was known to have an identical twin ?

In this case not even your own personally adopted child.

Anyways this scenario is highly unlikely for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit