The new bible did NOT remove the previously [bracked inserted words], it only removed the brackets, so it's even more deceptive..

by EndofMysteries 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Phizzy:

Just about all bible translators take some liberties while doing translation work. Some of these liberties are the result of tradition, so the translator may not realize at times how his translation choices are pulling away from the original text. (Yes Terry, I am aware we don't have the original writings, but copies.)

Take for instance, the Concordant Greek Text, which is perhaps the most literally basic translation out there, even more so than KIT. The author is a serious translator which tries so hard to give you the basic meaning of each word. However, others have pointed out online that his beliefs have crept into the translated text in some places. Would I call him dishonest? Not at all. There is no absolute way to translate, and not err while interpreting some parts of the Bible.

All bible translators add or do away with some words. That too is almost impossible to avoid. To illustrate, translating Tarzan's famous phrase, "Me Tarzan, You Jane," to another language would force a translator to decide whether to communicate word for word, say in Spanish, "Yo Tarzán, tú Jane." Or simplify it further and smooth it out to, "Yo soy Tarzán, y tu eres Jane." One can go even further and add a word or two to that without changing the intended meaning: "Yo me llamo Tarzán, y tu te llamas Jane." And we haven't talked about changing Jane's name to "Juana" or some other form. Take your pick! The same thing happens when translating from Hebrew or Greek. There are choices.

The impression of some here is that the NWT is the number one version in altering the original text. Not really. It just appears so, because the NWT represents a minority in interpretation. But if you were to ask a resident of Israel which version is the least accurate, you may be surprised of the answer. It may not be the NWT. We have "hell" for Gehenna in English versions, cross for stake, Lord for Yahweh, the abuse of the article with "holy spirit" where is uncalled for, using capitals for holy spirit, and so on.

And then, you have deliberate additions or omissions. I will give you an example. The translator of The Clear Word, a trinitarian, removed the statement at John 14:28 where Jesus said, "The Father is greater than I." Or, at Gen. 1:2 where he renders the verse: "But the Holy Spirit was watching over it." Check the Hebrew! Nowhere does it say the Holy Spirit was watching anything. But have you heard dissenchanted JWs in this forum attack those mishaps? No, they are too busy looking for NWT errors, that they don't even see when someone else does it.

I could go on and perhaps list hundreds of similar twistings in mainstream versions as well. The point is, all bible versions fall short in the translation process somewhere. But in truth, most bible versions are worth to have around, if one can afford them. I appreciate The Clear Word effort, even with those shortcomings. I also like to use a variety of Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish versions. And needless to say, I like the NWT and the KIT as well.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Slight correction for previous post:

At Gen. 1:2 The Clear Word renders the verse: "But the Holy Spirit was there watching over it," instead of the more accurate: ‘God's spirit was moving about over the waters.’

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Wonderment, it is as I thought. many examples of the tranlators theology colouring the work, and sometimes in a dishonest way. But it does seem to me, that, though the NWT is very good in translating the original words in a lot of its content, that it in very many places the translation is dishonest, for doctrinal reasons.

I therefore feel that the very remit of the "Committee" was to not let any verse or verses contradict WT teaching if at all possible, of course some instances where they have let original stand and it does embarrass them, are probably be too blatant even for them to change it.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Franz professed his NWT was as close to the original as possible, so he bracketed insertions to (in effect) acknowledge a non ooriginal word .

the silver sword" is not professed to be a literal translation but an easily readable translation. The whole bible would be brackets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit