Mac Book Pro with Retina or Dell XPS 15? (both with new Haswell processors)

by Simon 70 Replies latest jw friends

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I have a massive high end Mac Pro at work, and it was grossly expensive, over $10,000 stuffed in that big silver box. If money is not a concern then get the Apple.

But for the same amount of $$ I can usually get two Windows machines that work just as fast and are not so overpriced.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I think the scaling for high DPI screens is likely much better on the mac with menus vs images using different rules. On Windows I suspect it will be tiny text or else huge Fischer-Price colorful play buttons. I heard they have improved support in 8.1 which means Windows 12.3 will probably make it work (will there be a Windows 12?)

I do like the unibody construction too. The design does look very very nice.

• Simon
    Simon

I have a massive high end Mac Pro at work it was grossly expensive. If money is not a concern then get the Apple.

But for the same amount of $$ I can usually get two Windows machines that work just as fast and are not so overpriced.

The price different isn't that great between them - they are pretty equal if you pick comparable specs (but yeah, both quite an investment).

I normally 'amortise' the cost of something like this over the 3-5 years I'll use it and it is a tool to do my job at the end of the day.

I actually liked Dell when they were more configurable but they are becoming more Apple-like in their fixed-spec range with only a few minor options.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I would go with the Mac Book Pro 15' for usable, quality construction and practical longevity .

You can always as you pointed out, have Win. operating for specific applications.

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac is one software option.

The only negative to mention is the initial purchase price.

Might go this way myself shortly, with the new Mac Book Pros coming out .

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I upgraded to Mavericks at about 3am this morning and I see my ram being utilized more efficiently and battery life also extended. Just need to upgrade Little Snitch and wait for the Onyx utility folks to update themselves. All other apps and programs run just fine.

I put off using Macs for many many years and was almost in the anti-Apple camp for a long time. But they have more than caught up and passed Windows based systems in the fast lane and show no signs of looking back.

True these toys are not cheap. But then the photography, film editing, animation, 3D design, Music scoring and production I engage in is not cheap either.

Treat yourself :)

• Simon
    Simon

Just checking the specs in more detail. They both have a Quad-core i7 processor but different models ...

Dell = i7-4702HQ, slightly lower power rating, speed-boost up to 3.2Ghz and 6Mb Level 3 Cache and HD 4600 (GT2) graphics

Mac = i7-4960HQ (I think), speed boost to 3.8Ghtz and 6Mb Level 3 Cache and Iris 5200 Graphics + 128Mb GPU cache

Edited to add cool comparison: http://versus.com/en/intel-core-i7-4960hq-vs-intel-core-i7-4702hq

There is a ~$300 difference in processor cost that easily figures into the prices so it isn't necessarilly more expensive for the Mac, you do actually get more as well as long as you look beyond the "Intell i7 quad core" sticker. Do Dell even still put those stupid Intel + Windows stickers on?!

The Mac also has the discrete NVidia graphics as well as the better integrated ones.

• Simon
    Simon

Treat yourself :)

Yeah, can you see me talking myself into it

I have to hone my arguments for when I then have to talk Angharad into it too ...

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I will say the only thing I really hate about the last macbook pro that I bought, is the placement of the power button right above delete key. I could smack Apple for that blunder.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

And they look soo dam sexy!!

Make Angharad into your desktop wallpaper across the Apples 24 mutiple desktops you can have and she will be sold.

Ok I lied.. 16 desktops..

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Hi Simon,

I repair computers and have a long...history of using Windows.But recently I purchased a mac and I can say that I'll never switch back to Windows. I find using my mac stress free, everything just works as it should all the time. I really don't think you can go wrong with a mac book pro, and those retina displays are amazing. For me there's no competition, mac's have better build quality, a stronger, smoother and more secure OS and to add to that Apple's customer care is top notch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit