Historical evidence for Christmas and Christs birthday

by DS211 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DS211
    DS211

I just read this feom 4jehovah.org

There is a historical basis for the December 25th date of Christ’s birth. Justin Martyr (100-165 A.D.) wrote Marcus Aurelius that Jesus was born at Bethlehem ‘‘as you can ascertain also from the registers of the taxing.” (Apologia I, 34). Tertullian (160-250) noted “the census of Augustus—that most faithful witness of the Lord’s nativity, kept in the archives of Rome” (Against Marcion, Bk. 4, 7). Cyril of Jerusalem (348-386) asked Julius to assign Christ’s birth date “from census documents brought by Titus to Rome” from which Julius assigned the date of December 25th. Likewise, John Chrysostom who lived about 347-407 wrote that Christ’s December 25th birthday was supported by the tax or census records still existing in his day that showed their registration at Bethlehem.

Although the Watchtower Society delights in pointing out that many encyclopedias suggest that Christmas may have come from the non-Christian Saturnalia, others say it may have come from the Jewish celebration of Hanukkah. The date of Hanukkah is December 25th but that date has varied yearly since it is based on the moon. John 10:22 says that in the winter, Christ himself a Jewish rabbi, was at the Feast of Dedication, another term for Hanukkah. It is also called the Festival of Lights because it has Menorah lights, special foods, and gifts.

Regardless, the December date is attacked because of the weather. Since Luke 2:8 says shepherds were in fields at Christ’s birth, some assume Christ wasn’t born in December. However, this objection is without merit as the Jewish Mishnah Seqal. 7:4 confirms flocks were kept in fields near Bethlehem even in the winter. Israel is not extremely cold and snow is very unlikely due to the warm Mediterranean current, although it has occurred occasionally over the years. Sheep wear natural wool that keeps them warm so they can walk about even in Israel’s rare snowfalls.

In those days, it was unlikely for sheep to be taken indoors in the winter because large barns did not exist nor hay baler farm machines to bind and store hay. In winter, shepherds brought flocks down from cold mountain slopes to valleys where snow had not killed as much grass and into fields by homes where they could be given better care. Thus, the Scriptural statement about shepherds being in the fields near Bethlehem fits a winter setting. Likewise, Jacob had complained to Laban of suffering from cold frost as a shepherd at night (Gen. 31:40), proving that there was nighttime shepherding in fields even in the winter. So, at the time of Jesus’ birth, poor homeless shepherds stayed outdoors even in the cold.

It is also likely that the tax census occurred in the winter because back in those days, people’s work was largely based upon the agricultural industry that would have slowed down in the winter months. Thus, Joseph and Mary probably traveled from Nazareth to Bethlehem through the Jordan Valley where roads were less rugged and at 689 to 1,306 feet below sea level. Thus, this route protected them from the colder December weather.

Just as Luke 2 says angels and shepherds celebrated Christ’s birthday, Christmas has always been used by Christians to honor Christ, not some ancient sun god such as the Saturnalia. So for most Christians, it is definitely Christian, NOT pagan in origin. It is not darkness mixed with light but light overcoming any darkness. Ironically, although the Watchtower Society tells Jehovah’s Witnesses to oppose Christmas, they let Jehovah’s Witnesses use the names of the days of the week that are derived from paganism, such as the Scandinavian god name Thor from which “Thursday” which means Thor’s Day originated. They also use the names of months such as June that was derived from the name of the god “Juno.” For that matter, wedding rings and money also came from pagans as well, but are used with no objection by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Although some pagans have worshipped trees, the origin of the Christmas tree is not from ancient tree worship. Researchers have found notes in Medieval manuscripts which state that the tree began as the Tree of Life in early church plays about the Garden of Eden. Similarly, Santa Claus did not originate from a pagan god like Odin, a wizard of the Siberian north, or an ancient Chinese god who came down chimneys. Records prove that the original source for Santa Claus was Saint Nicholas. He headed a church at Smyrna, now in modern Turkey and wore the color red and carried a miter stick. He was famous for secretly leaving small bags with gold that poor girls used as dowry money so that they could marry instead of being sold as a slave or a concubine. After he died, his tradition of gift giving was adopted by other people. In Holland the name of Saint Nicholas became Sinter Claus, from which comes the English name Santa Claus.

Finally, Colossians 2:16 says: “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.” ** The Bible is telling us that as Christians, we are not to be judged over holidays. Christmas celebrates Christ’s birthday and with its coming in winter, it is excellent for breaking winter blues or depression. Its happy memories are in line with the fruits of love and joy (Galatians 5:22). Happy memories are needed to help build happy families. So, if you are a Jehovah’s Witness or an Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses, you can feel Scripturally and morally free to celebrate Christmas along with the rest of the Christian communit y.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The two indivuals you are quoting from as your proof material lived over a hundred years after Jesus was born. There also was a pre-Christian Roman celebration, the holiday of Saturnalia around that time of the year.

• steve2
    steve2

DS211 - yours is a well considered and composed OP which nicely answers some of the stock objections that trip off JWs'ntongues about the so-called pagan practice of Christmas. Some of the points you raised I have not heard before - you've done some excellent research.

You could add to the list of pagan or non-Christian practices the JWs happily borrow the celebration of wedding anniversaries. Virtually all the objections JWs adduce to condemn the celebration of birthdays can be aimed at celebrating wedding anniversaries.

BTW, for a brief period of time in the late 1920s, The Watchtower, under Rutherford's tutelage, did propose that the faithful should refuse to use the pagan days of the week and months of the calendar and it even got as far as proposing non-pagan alternatives (no kidding). My maternal grandparents converted to the Bible Students in the mid-1920s and often entertained their many grandchildren with accounts of what it was like in the 1920s and 1930s in the organization. Thankfully, some sense prevailed at headquarters and attempts to rename days of the week and months of the year never made it through to official policy.

• designs
    designs

steve2- that idea of renaming the days of the week may have come unofficially from the Seventh Day Adventists. SDAs I would meet in field service would knock us for our 'Sunday' meetings while they held to the Sabbath Day.

• Splash
    Splash

William Penwell "The two indivuals you are quoting from as your proof material lived over a hundred years after Jesus was born."

So you're saying they were from the same 'generation' as Jesus then.

Splash

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The Scriptural details provided at Matthew chapter 2 vary somewhat from the traditionally held Christian explanation of Christ's birth.

1 After Jesus had been born in Beth′le·hem of Ju·de′a in the days of Herod the king, look! astrologers [magi] from the East came to Jerusalem, (Despite the fact that Jesus was born in Bethlehem, the astrologers - not kings, & not 3 of them - were directed straight to Jerusalem, not Bethlehem)

3 At hearing this, King Herod was agitated, and all Jerusalem with him. (On the basis of Deuteronomy 18:10,12 it is clear why the people would be agitated)

7 Then Herod secretly summoned the astrologers and carefully ascertained from them the time of the star’s appearing. (Herod likely summoned them secrectly for fear of the Jews reaction to him consulting with astrologers whom their God condemned in Scripture)

11 And when they went into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and falling down, they did obeisance to him. (Jesus was now a young child, not a baby, hence the reason Herod had all children under 2 years of age killed, and not just babies. Also, the magi found him in a house, not a manger as is generally portrayed.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

The gospels of Matthew and Luke make it very clear that Jesus was born in Feb/March of 7 bce or before. Therefore the census records from 6 ce would not be showing a Dec date. As I understand the Roman's reason for census it was to determine who was eligable for tax, and old enough to serve in the auxilary army. The precise dates of birth were not a requirement only age. In any case the people were not required to travel to register the colators of the information travelled from town to town, and also collected taxes due it was part of the Roman system.

It is also the the case that Luke does specifically use the the word birth in chapter 3, and the reference to a new born baby can equally be translated as young person, in my view 12 or 13 years old.

• jhine
    jhine

I cannot comment on some of your post , I do not have that knowledge , but what you say about santa is correct hence he is sometimes refered to as Saint NIck .

Also I agree with your use of Col 2: 16.

Yes the Watchtower turns a blind eye to other pagan things , but I think that the banning of Christmas is just part of the overall sidelining of Christ . It is a wonder that there is not a festival to celebrate the Governing Body instead !

• DS211
    DS211

Yes..see? This is why i post this stuff, so we can pick it apart lol. Whenever im alone reading this i now question everything. hence also why i posted this. Thanks guys keep some more comments coming.

• jhine
    jhine

Glad to be of service

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit