JW Library App answers question: "What is the Bible's message?" (notice anything missing?)

by Faithful Witness 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Against some suspicions about security that I had, I just downloaded the new JW Library App onto my iPad.

Among its top features, it has an "Introduction that answers 20 Bible questions." I went there first. (click Introduction tab at top). I quickly scrolled through the first few questions, stopping at Question 5. This one looked like a good read, and a good test to see if the JW's are really getting the true message of the Bible. Does anyone else find this interesting?

The format appears to be a question, followed by a bunch of cherry-picked scriptures. I guess we should hand it to them for actually making us read the scripture and figure out the message of the Bible for ourselves. One thing I've been so criticl about, is the way they spoon-feed you their beliefs, THEN show you where it is backed up in the Bible. This introduction does not appear to have any footnotes or commentary added!

So... without further adieu... Let's go to the Bible and ask...

QUESTION 5 What is the Bible’s message?

“I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.” Genesis 3:15

“By means of your offspring all nations of the earth will obtain a blessing for themselves because you have listened to my voice.” Genesis 22:18

“Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.” Matthew 6:10

“For his part, the God who gives peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.” Romans 16:20

“When all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.” 1 Corinthians 15:28

“Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his offspring . . . , who is Christ. Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham’s offspring.” Galatians 3:16, 29

“The kingdom of the world has become the Kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will rule as king forever and ever.” Revelation 11:15

“So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.” Revelation 12:9

“He seized the dragon, the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for 1,000 years.” Revelation 20:2

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Bible of course does not have a single message, or a theme running through it as the WT claims.

But you ask what is missing ? ask Fernando ! surely it is anything that really explains the "Good News " ?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

First, it is curious that the name Jehovah is not mentioned at all, but Satan is the main subject in 4 of the 9 verses.

Second, there is no mention of Christian living and values, which I would say is the main message of Christianity

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

It doesn't mention the great tribulation or Babylons destruction at the hands (or teeth) of the UN? Or birds eating unbelievers fleshy parts ..Maybe not what you're looking for, I often think too much... Seems to skip from 1914 to after harmageddon, though.

• Laika
    Laika

Yeah, no mention of the death and resurrection of Jesus, pretty strange for a 'christian' religion.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Dropoffyourkeylee: good observation. I hadn't counted, but that is a good catch. Who is the main character in the JW Bible?

Laika: That's kinda what I was thinking. The OT is full of promises that God would send a redeemer. Jesus redeemed the sinners with his blood.

Others made good points, but the salvation message is consistent from beginning to end. Just an observation that I made.

I'm too picky, for sure... The Bible has a different message, depending who is reading it, I suppose.

When I first opened that App feature, I thought it might actually contain some truth, since it was all quotes from the Bible. It is clearly meant to "appear" to be intended for the general public or curious person... but this App is tailored to JWs. I'm sure they won't miss the fact that Jesus' death isn't mentioned once in the message summary.

• jgnat
    jgnat

No references from Exodus to Malachi. That's most of it. No Psalms, no OT Law, no OT Prophets. No David, Esther, Ruth, or Job.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I could be wrong. I mean really, how can over 7 million JW's be wrong?

Although, the promise of a painful and horrible death, to every single person that slammed the door in your face on a Saturday morning... we need to make sure that makes the list.

Message of the Bible summarized... who can help?

1. Shun your daughter if she questions what I'm telling you. She will be dead soon, so don't worry.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The bible does have a single message or theme running through it. The seed ending with Jesus will redeem from sin and death.

• steve2
    steve2

If I had an app, I wouldn't so much cherry-pick scriptures as pig-pick them.

I love strolling through the Hebrew Scriptures and selecting texts that support Divinely-ordered genocide. The chilling references to killing everyone in a specified parcel of land, including women, children ,babies and old people make for stirring reading.

Genocidal maniacs of the 20th Century were bad enough, but Jehovah God was badder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit