what exactly is a publisher of the good news?

by nowwhat? 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

i have been a "publisher" for 40 years. even though i never actually printed a book or magazine. i just cant find the term anywhere in the bible.

am i missing something?

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's on page 666 in the Jehovah's Witnesses Unabridged Dictionary of Common Theocratic Words.

• smiddy
    smiddy

And what exactly IS the good news that they preach that is unique to jehovahs witnesses ?

smiddy

• abbagail
    abbagail

@nowwhat? wrote: "... i just cant find the term [publisher] anywhere in the bible."

Wrong translation! :) Try the KJV. Publish, Published, Publisheth are found 29 times in the KJV:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=publish&version1=KJV&searchtype=all&limit=none&wholewordsonly=no

A publisher publisheth, dontchaknow? Lol. Of course a regular dictionary usually says a publisher is someone who publishes books, etc., but the Hebrew for publisheth (for instance in Isaiah 52:7 x 2) is "shama" which means:
    http://bible.worthwhile.com/bible.php?b=isa&c=52&v=0&d=52&w=0

[...]
    Number 8085
    Transliteration: shama` {shaw-mah'}
    Word Origin: a primitive root
    TWOT: 2412, 2412a
    AV - hear 785, hearken 196, obey 81, publish 17, understand 9, obedient 8, diligently 8, shew 6, sound 3, declare 3, discern 2, noise 2, perceive 2, tell 2, reported 2, misc 33
    Part of Speech: TWOT - 2412, 2412a
    Usage in the KJV: hear 785, hearken 196, obey 81, publish 17, understand 9, obedient 8, diligently 8, shew 6, sound 3, declare 3, discern 2, noise 2, perceive 2, tell 2, reported 2, misc 33
    Total: 1159

Definition: v to hear, listen to, obey (Qal) to hear (perceive by ear) to hear of or concerning to hear (have power to hear) to hear with attention or interest, listen to to understand (language) to hear (of judicial cases) to listen, give heed to consent, agree to grant request to listen to, yield to to obey, be obedient (Niphal) to be heard (of voice or sound) to be heard of to be regarded, be obeyed (Piel) to cause to hear, call to hear, summon (Hiphil) to cause to hear, tell, proclaim, utter a sound to sound aloud (musical term) to make proclamation, summon to cause to be heard n m sound
    TDNT - Theological Dictionary of the New Testament
    TWOT - Theological Word Book of the Old Testament
    [...]

• Caupon
    Caupon

A publisher of the good news is someone who distributes literature for the WatchTower Corporation. In essence, it has nothing to do with printing books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit