why using a tablet at the platform during the meeting?

by Gorbatchov 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I can't understand why the Governing body aka FDS has to deside about using a tablet by the speaker at the platform.

Why using a tablet anyway at the platform?

Just a toy to keep the youth inside the congregation.

Gorby

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

As a company they need to change and look more "cool". It starts at the platform! For me it was just showing off and I must say that I really hate to see it happen. I even get annoyed at all the ipads I see at the assemblies!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Dewandelaar: yes, it's not ok. I feel the same observering the gadgets at meetings.

It's still the american dream religion.

Gorby

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

It is easier to study, less to bring to the meetings and assemblies. I can't speak for everyone who uses tablets at, but for me its less about showing off and more about convenience. if I have to pretend that I give a rat's ass about the meeting at least this makes it easier to deal with it.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I'm in the same camp as XBEHERE. It's so much easier to just bring ONE thing with you to the meeting...no Bible, no song book, no WT, no KM, no Jeremiah book, etc., etc...

EDIT: To Gorby's question as to why the GB even has to be involved in "allowing" tablets to be used is a bigger question for me. After all, using tablets in worship was actively encouraged under the Mosaic Law...even if Moses did manage to break the first couple he got.

Some might think that type of rule making is a bit Pharisaical.

• DeWandelaar
  • emeth
    emeth

i did use it once before during a talk at the ministry school ,.. because my printer broke down that afternoon while printing my talk for that evening. So i was forced to improvise and brought my tablet. It went well and hardly anyone noticed.

Ooh and i am from the netherlands not the states

• oppostate
    oppostate

thanks to my tablet I can read CoC and ISoCF and other titles on PDF during the meeting and also have the song book, NWTR2013, latest rags and study books. Very handy!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Seems in this day and age, that people can take "computer" classes and with their tablets, and don't have to go to an actual class. Of course, they "are not to forsake the gathering of each other." But would seem many would gradually develop into a convenience of that in time. Then again, the WTS knows that their members need to have the elders in their face for the needed control.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

this could be hilarious. imagine 2 loving witnesses fighting over an electrical outlet. now multiply that at a 6 hour assembly and 50 ppl. per outlet, id call it "the brawl at the hall". also, watch the electric rate SKYROCKET for meetings now that they are officially ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit