JW catches "smear pedo catholic priests&qu...

by Atreyu 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

I'm in need of advice:

Today a JW wrote an article in a Norwegain newspaper about the pedofile catholic priests scandal in the US these days. Obviously, he enjoyed smearing them and argumented that the institution of celibacy was the root to the evil doings.

But, this JW is not personally very active - and he didn't mention anything JW-related in his article at all. His agenda is just to echo the critisism of christendom that originates from the WTS. Nothing more.

Should I write an article that addresses the prescence of pedofile scandals and cover-ups in other churces, including JW? Should I argue against his "celibacy is the root to the evil"-theory? (It must be wrong, at least not the whole truth, since child molestation is frequent even in non-celibacy churces.)

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

The topic was ment to be:
    JW catches "smear pedo catholic priests"-bandwagon.

• Valis
    Valis

A, silinetlambs might be a good place to start. There's all kinds of stuff there. You could probably get Bill to answer some questions for you for a rebuttal/response. I'm sure it won't be too hard to lay the JW/Catholic experiences side bye side, in an effort to display the pedo probs JWs have too. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

An article like that would be good no matter WHAT..need you ask? I hope you post it here.

I hope you mention that child molestation (and perhaps pedophilia) is a crime of power and not of sex. Also, that the Catholic Church has a history going back at least 20 years I think (there is a thread on this board regarding this) where they DID recognize that there was a problem and they did get many many offenders into treatment.

JW's, on the other hand, dissuaded their offenders to go to therapy and also the victims as well. I am not aware that the Catholic church, or any church, has a decades long policy of expelling/shunning victims including right up to the May 2002 Watchtower (which is still not on this board..<groan>)

Just my 1/2 cents worth.

Best wishes...

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I think a response to his letter would definitely be in order.

I would mention that although child molestation in the Catholic Church is reprehensible, it is not unique to that institution. Consider Jehovah's Witnesses, who have been vocal critics of Catholicism. They are the subject of multiple lawsuits for the very same offense. It has been alleged that there are upwards of 23,000 pedofiles within the JW organization.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Definitely! You should write your article and then post it here for all of us.

I do not believe that celibacy is the cause of the problem. As you pointed out, other churches, organizations, etc., have the same problems in their midst. And, as DungBeetle pointed out, it is a crime of power, not sex. I do, however, see celibacy as aberrant sexual behaviour. Perhaps those who are attracted to it may also be attracted to other forms of aberrant sexual behaviour????

• anewperson
    anewperson

Write to the editor "Jehovah's Witnesses also hide pedophilia, and also they allow pedophiles to knock on everyone's doors in all nations, thus endangering all the children. For proof see the English language website at http://www.silentlambs.org. The journal Christianity Today and the British newspaper The Guardian have also exposed this."

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Atreyu...why don't we just...never mind. Best wishes on your article.

• Imbue
    Imbue

Certainly a response to a letter like that can help raise questions!

Even if he isn't an active JW it could bring about a discussion and that is what's need for the abuse issues. The WT needs to be questioned by every JW over this issue. An article in the newspaper enables them to ask without being questioned about the source. In other words they wouldn't be accused of being on the intranet with apostates.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Atryu,

thanks for the interesting piece of information.
    As it has been already suggested to you, yes yo should write
    something and please keep all of us informed via this forum.

All the best for your " efforts ",
    greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit