Did Jehovah's Witnesses Plagiarize HWA's False Prophecy Of 1975?

by Bangalore 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The publications, for instance, mentioned it is not known when Eve was created, and it may have been years after Adam was created, and the date when the first sin occurred is also not known. So the implication was, as far as I can see, that the end was unknown, and most likely NOT come in 1975. Although, one WT publication SPECULATED, that it MAY not be far off from 1975. However, a lot of stress was put on Jesus words "that no man knows the hour", although the sign of the times indicated it was near. The WT never stated the end WILL come in 1975, not even the book used to introduce potential new Christians to bhe basic bible truth mention it.

Yes, they hedged their bets quite nicely by putting cautionary statements such as you describe into the literature. On the other hand, other statements were much more telling:

Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end.

Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3

Fifteen years from 1960 brings us to 1975. He predicted that by 1975 this world would be too dangerous! Interestingly, this date is also the one indicated by the most reliable Bible research as marking the end of 6,000 years of rebellion of men and demons against God.

Awake! January 8, 1968, p. 19

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.

Awake! magazine, May 22, 1969, p. 15

Telling people that the time is so short (in 1974) that selling their homes and property is a "fine way to spend the short time remaining" doesn't strike me as a very cautionary statement. Do you think they meant to imply that people's homes and property should bring them enough income to last them another 38 years (or more)? There were serious consequences to anyone who followed the Watchtower's advice, based on a prediction that you claim they never made.

Likewise, young people were told in 1969 (the year I graduated high school) that they would "never grow old in this present system of things" and that they would "never fulfill any career that this syetem offers." These statements were blatantly false. That magazine came out weeks before my high school graduation, and I am now 61 years old. I think I could have had a decent career by now, had I not paid attention to the Watchtower's advice. Instead of going to college, I aimed at pioneering, and have, as a result, worked much harder at jobs I've enjoyed much less than could have been the case. Another life messed up by believing the Watchtower.

Over 40 years later, the Watchtower is still telling young people the same things. Fortunately, it seems that nowadays, fewer and fewer are believing them, since the majority of JW kids today leave the religion as adults.

• littlemike
    littlemike

David7

You are talking total rubbish. I was born in 1959. Told not to get further education. I remember loads of meeting assemblies. Where District Overseers went on about 1975. Stood on platform "How many months till 1975" We were told not to get a career in a 1968 Awake. Why get a career when this world is going down in the nesxt few years. like going on the Titanic. People sold their houses. Did not get pensions. Took part time work and pioneered as world ending in 75. We had to get the Good News of the Kingdom preached tp save lives.

They very cleverly stopped printing all relavent articles. Most were in the Kingdom Ministry which is not available.

I did not think I would leave school, get married, have kids. I am now 54. And I was TOLD the end of the world was 1975. FACT

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

David7 I was like you until a couple of years ago when in West Palm Beach Florida at the DC i heard ones of the GB's I think Lett admit that most of the ones at Bethel thought 75 was it. He said they considered him an apostate for not agreeing with the date. This is when I new the wool was pulled over my eyes.

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

I came out of Herbert Armstrongs group and its hard to say who plagiarized whom. It was said he had a stash of other groups literature in storage when he died.

There were people who, like the JWs at that time. sold their homes, made no plans for retirement or their children's education. Afterwards, Armstrong spent a lot of time weaseling on how people misinterpreted his statements and stating it was their fault for getting all worked up over it.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

David 17, if you are only 17, your comments are understandable as you missed all the excitement of the 1970s. But I was an elder during that time, and though I was skeptical about all the hype coming out of Brooklyn about 1975, most of JWs in my congregation were expecting the big A to happen that year because of what they read in Watchtower publications. Though I kept it to myself, for fear of being labeled an apostate, I personally didn’t believe anything special would happen in 1975.

However, we had a CO who would begin his Tuesday night comments in 1970s with a stopwatch, and say for example, only two years, eight months, fifteen days, two hours, and 40 minutes until 1975. My cousin, who was in another circuit said his CO used the same gimmick. I’m sure others who were JWs in the early 1970s have similar experiences.

Why all the excitement if, according to the Society, 1975 meant only 6,000 years of human existence? Why would the Watchtower, in a 1974 KM state that many brothers are selling their homes and spending “the remaining months of this system” in the pioneer service? Somewhere in my archives I have a tape recording of talks given in Los Angeles early 1975 by Nate Knorr and Freddy Franz, discussing the urgency of the times and the nearness of the GT.

So don’t give me the BS that the Society only said 1975 merely marked 6,000 years since Adam was created. I lived through that time and saw the excitement of the brothers, encouraged by the Watchtower, ending in disappointment when nothing happened in 1975.

Then at a 1977 DC I heard a DO blame the brothers for expecting something special to happen in 1975. He went on to state that many JWs were disappointed and became inactive because in 1975 Adam had a birthday. The DO railed against those who served with a date in mind, ignoring the fact that it was the Watchtower that encouraged all the excitement and it was the GB that was responsible for the disappointment.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I was there with the Jdubs in 1960's and 70's and believe me the 1975 was a marked year. In the early 70's, I was told I would not graduate high school in this system and was to go into the full time preaching work as the end of this system was just around the corner. If you would have said cautionary comments to the contrary, you would have been looked down as someone with little faith. It wasn't till 1975 came that the society started playing down the significants of 1975. Anyone that lived through it that says otherwise either is lying or has a short memory.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Back in the '80s I read a lot of literature from both groups and found them to be very similar. I'm not sure exactly WHY I joined JWs and not the WWCofG.

Let me think on that ...

• prologos
    prologos

the implication was if the 6000 years were up, the last millenium had to start in 1975. can you have a cleansed earth without armageddon, the binding of satan?

of course the 75 hoopla could not have happened without the cheering audience, but the stage was held by WT writers, speakers.

a stellar performance by members of the two overlapping groups in the last generation.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was converted and baptized in 1973. 1975 was the only thing anybody talked about.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Is their a distortion here of what Herbert. W.Armstrong predicted about 1975 ? I vaugely remember "The Plain Truth "magazine of the sixties , didnt they have a paradise on earth after Armageddon ? I know of non witnesses who were aware of the 1975 teaching through newspaper articles would say JW`s beleive the world is going to end in 1975. I personally had to set a co-worker straight about what we really beleived. He had trouble comprehending that ,he preferred to beleive what the newspaper article said. So did H.W.Armstrong predict the earth/world was going to be destroyed or not , or was it just ambiguous wording that people have misconstrued .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit