How many child abuse cases?

by LHS123 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LHS123
    LHS123

Not sure about nazi comparison, hmm..? But, I have noticed the wts has a habit of 'missing deadlines' in these cases, in UK and U.S., i wonder if it's a calculated decision because although in the Lopez case they lost, at least now they can say, 'it wasn't fair, the judge wouldn't let us put our defense', whereas if they actually do mount a defense, with cross examination etc, it could reveal much more damning information. I'm no legal expert but something fishy is going on.

• smiddy
    smiddy

We have had cases here in Australia , however it does not seem to get the attention of the media because it usually is isolated cases where only one or two victims are involved in congregations few and far between .

Compare that with a Catholic School that has multiple victims by an errant priest ,who is going to get the media attention ?

I personally have known of a few cases of child sexual abuse in Australia , one of which I had to disqualify myself from being a Jurist because I knew some people on the case and they would have known me .

This took place about 10 years after my exit from the religion , some years ago in Brisbane.The man charged from the Atherton Tablelands., and I do not know the outcome of the trial.

In some ways this is wrong , just because it does not happen as much in a small Religous sect should not make it any less of a priority .And just maybe , the ratio of child sexual mollesters in the J.W Religion overshadows the ratio of Catholic Priests charged with child abuse.

I don`t Know I`m just saying

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Surely their must be some organization that monitors child Sex Abuse cases around the world ? , and rates different organizations with who is the worst and who is the least likely to be abused .?

If not their should be , it`s long overdue.

I could be wrong , however I think on a ratio basis Jehovah Witnesses would be in the top ten , if not top five , of the worst abusers in Religous organizations.

smiddy

• LHS123
    LHS123

Here's a quote from an article on silentlambs re the ratio in UK;

"When you consider the number of Catholics in the UK as compared to the number of Jehovah’s Witnesses these are horrific numbers. How many priests are listed over the last four years? According to the list 137 Priests were in court or charged with abuse. When you consider there are 5.7 million Catholics as compared to 137,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses the ratio works out to one Catholic priest molester to 41,605 Catholics as compared to one Jehovah’s Witness elder molester to 5,269 Jehovah’s Witnesses. That helps to show the epidemic proportions of the abuse problem within Jehovah’s Witnesses."

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was very high elsewhere too, I've seen fraudsters target the cong because they know they would be trusted and not taken to court if anything goes wrong. It's an obvious place for a peadophile to hide too, access to children, the 2 witness rule, confidentiality and reluctance to involve authorities, unfortunately there are wolves that have exploited that environment and it seems the org. Has not done near enough to protect the congregation.

• smiddy
    smiddy

LHS123 ,

Thank you for that information .

Something else that is seriously overlooked in these investigations / probes into child sexual abuse against children by Religous orders .

It is not only by priests or Elders that are the perpetrators , the rank and file are more often than not the abusers ,then why is the emphasis on the so called clergy of these institutions and not looking at the average congregant.who is more than likely the abuser ,? especially so in the smaller sects of religion .

Are these people under the radar ? We should be looking out for everyone , not just the mainstream religions .

smiddy

• Onager
    Onager

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/charity-commission-investigates-jehovahs-witnesses-charities

Oh this could cause all sorts of trouble. I can't imagine the organisation imploding from within or a mass awakening, but if it loses its charity status and has to start paying taxes in the UK I could see Head Office abandoning the UK. That would be pretty awesome!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Onager - "I can't imagine the organisation imploding from within or a mass awakening, but if it loses its charity status and has to start paying taxes in the UK I could see Head Office abandoning the UK."

A couple of us have speculated that if the WTS were to lose its tax-exemption (and subsequently be required to pay back-taxes) - particularly in the US - it might be a far more serious blow than one might initially think.

After all, a strong argument could be made that the WTS's "business model", besides being based on the 20th-Century's "continued-growth-to-survive" paradigm, has also evolved and adapted specifically to its current tax-exempt environment.

Take that away, and what happens?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit