How much can you buy with a dollar a week allowance?

by John Aquila 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

$ 1 dollar a week X 8 million JWs = $ 8 million dollars a week

$ 8 million X 52 weeks in a year = $ 416 million dollars a year

And it’s all TAX FREE.

You know JWs donate more than $ 1 dollar a week!

Image result for cha ching pic

• hoser
    hoser
    Not this jw. I give zero dollars to the wt. they've taken enough from me. They don't need any more.
  • millie210
    millie210

I was thinking about this John and it sounds good. Heres the thing I am wondering though..

do the people in 3rd world countries give anything at all?

Even here in the U.S. a family with three teenagers and for sake of discussion lets assume the mom stays at home and the kids are "pioneering teens. That leaves the father as the wage earner and maybe reasoning that his family is contributing enough with the pioneering and maybe he gives a "token $20" every so often.

I know a family like this, thats why I mentioned it.

So if you compound various scenarios over a lot of people and situations, what would the donation amount be?

Most televangelists get the bulk of their money from little old ladies. Is that true here also?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In my experience as account servant the congregation expenses were covered by very few people. Most contributed nothing - and that includes for the literature. In all my life as a JW the total I contributed over a 30 year period was less than $50.00

What you describe is I am sure what the Watchtower had in mind with the new arrangement. Reality is a little different.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

In all my life as a JW the total I contributed over a 30 year period was less than $50.00

Man, I wish I could say that about myself. In the congregation I attended, and I lived in a City close to the border of Mexico where education was nil and poverty is rampant, monthly contributions were between 5k to 10k monthly. We had many business owners in all sorts of trades making more than doctors.

We will never know how much the WT actually collects since they will NEVER print financial statements. But the point is that the WT views $ 1 dollar differently than a normal average person. Just .50 cents a week from each member would pull in more than $ 200 million dollars a year TAX FREE.

It's the advantage of the bigger you are the more advantage you have even in little things-economies of scale

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I know plenty who make up for those that donate though, and put in large sums, plus I have known some to leave their estates when they pass, those are much bigger chunks coming in. You also need to consider the money made off the float when dealing in big chunks of cash like the society is. They sell a property for 400k, the smart accountants at watchtower are making for shit sure that is yielding some serious interest while it's floating around before its "used".
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have to say even at the height of my indoctrination I may have only parted with $20 at an assembly.

I have an elder friend who is also accounts servant. I mentioned to him about the societies financial problems. He replied by saying by what he saw coming in as literature as opposed to what went out in donations there was a Hugh short fall, and that what I had told him didn't come as a surprise. His congregation was also in a reasonably wealthy area

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    I mentioned to him about the societies financial problems.

Just because the Watchtower is pleading for more money doesn't necessarily mean they are having financial problems. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Minister Creflo Dollar asks for $60 million in donations for a new jet

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/13/living/creflo-dollar-jet-feat/

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Not all donations go to the society. The hall needs to cover expenses too. In my hall, we were asked to attend a meeting once. All male publishers, regardless of what kind of privileges you were spiritually mature to deserve, had this one privilege. To attend a meeting were we were told the hall did not have enough to cover the current month.

True as well it is that the fact that they are asking for money is not proof there is a real financial problem. I do happen to think there is one because other evidence points to it. At best, the hardship may come not from a lack of donations but from the growing pains of transition. I happen to think that the WT is transitioning from a voluntary donation/voluntary mag subscription type of business model to a more real state dependent model. That takes time and some initial expenses to survive while the new model kicks in. I believe we are all going to see our halls changed at some point in the future. Unless you are in a hall where the real state market is busting, then you may get relocated. Other than that, the new model will demand that your hall gets changed for the new design. It is more efficient in every way.

• kaik
    kaik
    I wish how much my old KH generated, but my mom contributes $5 dollars every week for years, and not to mention extra money on convention or if they ask money for utilities or repairs. Additionally all my relatives told me that they have to contribute for overseer when he visiting, including cooking, gas, laundry and dry cleaners, or paying his dinner expenses. I have heard that from my mom, sibling, and other relatives who are in different congregations. When we had our first KH we had fund to it and we were putting money for several years. I am sure between 1990-1994 when I walked out I had put easily couple hundreds dollars to it over time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit