Governing Body Hollywood JACKASSERY

by Terry 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Hollywood likes to make movies "inspired by" actual persons and events.

When they do, many critics point to the various facts which have been changed in the creation of the film.

A male character may be transformed by screenwriters into a female.

The actual location of the true incident becomes a different country altogether.

A tall person may be portrayed by a short actor.

The decade of the true incident may be switched to a totally different time period.

Names are changed and characters may be added or removed.

Things never spoken are quoted as though actual. Motives are suddenly attributed to people opposite to reality. And so on.

In other words, in Hollywood, being inspired is just an excuse to make up an entertaining tale that will generate revenue.

Why tamper with the truth?

The dumb movie-going public won't know the difference anyway.

I would like to suggest the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses has something similar in mind when crafting teachings, doctrines, histories and chronologies "based on" the Bible. I'd like to call it Jehovah's Witnesses' version of HOLLYWOOD INSPIRATION.

What kind of inspiration might this be?

First off, they refuse to admit it is inspiration while, in the next breath, attributing their literary creations to the same sort of divine direction usually reserved for actual inspiration.
    HOW do we parse that? They are led by Jehovah's spirit but NOT inspired?

How are those two statements different from each other? There is a distinction being made.
    I would like to know the difference it makes.

Jehovah is the editor of the magazine, angels direct the preaching work, they are the mouthpiece of god and YET, they are not INSPIRED?

HOW do you break that down and make it understandable? How does the rank and file publisher attending meetings put that clearly in their mind???

Inspiration actually means "divine direction." I.e., anyone who is inspired certainly is divinely directed.

So how is it the anointed Governing Body is divinely directed--yet--uninspired?
    That dog won't hunt!

If Jehovah's holy spirit is urging a certain understanding of scripture you'd be perfectly safe in assuming the understanding would be entirely correct. How then does one account for an understanding which is demonstrated to be wrong and in need of adjustment or reversal?

1. Jehovah's spirit urged a correct understanding and the Governing Body resisted it by substitutiing a wrong one instead.
    2.Jehovah's spirit did not urge any understanding but the Governing Body proceeded with a counterfeit feeling of authority just as powerful.

Regardless of which of these proposed reasons may apply--by attaching a penalty of disfellowshipping--the Governing Body
    is willing to gamble with the "life" of any unconvinced member who spots a flaw and calls them out on it.

Further, a person who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses, may NOT obey personal conscience, directed by prayer to Jehovah, telling them a Governing Body teaching makes no sense. (Examples might involve blood transfusions for a dying child, a molestation issue concerning reporting a crime, etc.)

When the Catholic Church changed the teaching on eating fish on Friday instead of meat, the Watch Tower published a mocking article rhetorically asking about the fate of members excommunicated who violated the wrong teaching.
    Wouldn't the same mockery be fitting for the Governing Body when a teaching is reversed for which members were kicked out?

There is an apparent devil's bargain the Governing Body offers to the rank and file member.
    To wit:
    If you do as we say and don't question our credibility you are allowed the right to keep your JW friends and family.
    If you call us out on a wrong teaching and you are later proved right--you remain a mentally defective Apostate who will
    die at Armageddon.

You will not be allowed the opportunity of a fair hearing by other members because of "marking" and isolation and name-calling labeling.

Truly, the Hollywood Inspiration of Watchtower presidents and resident gurus such as Fred Franz has generated as much revenue over the years as a successful Hollywood blockbuster "based on true events." But, contrast and compare the penalty for refusing to buy a movie ticket with refusing to go along with a false teaching in your religion and losing your loved ones.

On the one hand, you maintain the right to avoid hype while letting others indulge as they please if you choose to not see a film. On the other hand, you are faced with intimidation invalidating your conscience and threatening you with extinction if you question a Watch Tower teaching.
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Couldn't we say the Governing Body is operating out of full awareness of their own tendency to make fools of themselves?
    Why else resort to making it a THOUGHT CRIME to exercise the right to decide what meets the test of reality and fact?
    Truly, by shutting up their critics and avoiding the discussion in the first place, the Governing Body has drawn an arbitrary line
    in the sand. They reframe the argument into a false context of LOYALTY to "God."

This is phony because--when they are proved to have taught a wrong teaching--God clearly had nothing to do with it in the first place!

Are we to assume being "anointed" makes you a member of a special buffoon class of bumbling clowns exempt from responsibility for jackassery?

By demanding you be LOYAL instead of submitting humbly to evidentiary debate, the GB never has to apologize and pay damages for malfeasance.

Or, so they'd like to think!
    Recent public lawsuits have directed a bright spotlight on another error of understanding. Legally, they CAN be forced to reckon with the consequences of MISPRISION.

Are you familiar with that word, misprision?
    Every Governing Body member should be forced to wear a T-shirt with that word imprinted in giant BLOCK LETTERS.

MISPRISION = ME

When you have an authority and duty to care for others and yet you mislead or subvert them, you are guilty of misprision.

For about ONE HUNDRED YEARS, millions of trusting people have been misdirected, put in harm's way and otherwise treated as slaves and lackeys

without wages. Those in authority over them subvert the will of God in a treasonous will of their own making.

In reality, this is their own Hollywood Inspiration in a mythical tale they are eager to particpate in as though it were true.

Seven geriatric gentlemen, like wrinkled versions of Dungeons and Dragons dungeon masters,

spin a whopper of story in which they are elite co-Messiahs, kings, priests, judges and overlords of the Watch Tower kingdom.

It would be merely sad and pathetic were it not for the fact:

the dumb-Kingdom Hall-going audience won't know the difference.

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

pronounced: mis-pri-zhen

• Terry
    Terry

I like the word JACKASSERY better.

I used it and THEN looked it up. I was astonished to see it is an actual word.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

Good post Terry. The Governing Body act like they own the rights to to the Bible itself. If you notice on JW.org you have to navigate to the "publications" secion to get to their Bible. Like a conquering nation they claim the Bible itself as "their publication." They don't see it as the ancient artifact that it is for all to enjoy. They only want it for themselves and say that no one else has the qualifications to translate and interpret.

Check out this video of Geoffrey Jackson announcing the new Bible (start at 3:15):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZHj13pUN4&t=3m15s

He says the New World Translation Bible Committee needed to recompose the Bible. The word "compose" means to " write or create (a work of art, esp. music or poetry). " The Watchtower takes full artistic licence when translating the Bible. They believe they own it which shows their utter arrogance and perceived superiority over all other Christian religions. They are the thieves the Gospel of John speaks about:

John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

So according to the Annual Meeting the reason for the new cover was the former was defective no doubt due to cost cutting or cheapening of materials and workmenship(rush job). I don't think he stated if this new version the problem was solved just some anecdote about being 'sister proof' what ever that is supposed to mean.

So they are going to try an make some money on these cheaply made bibles and they want every one to be excited about it. Sales Pep Rally for a new product line.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Muy excellente!!! !!!!!!!!

I cringe when I hear the term "Bible-based literature." When they say,"bible-based", they aint lyin'! Sadly the majority of what they say is dogma.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Thanks Terry! marking

• startingover
    startingover

Very good Terry!

I clicked on this thread this morning, just reading the first paragraph, and saving it for later. But the word "inspired" stayed in my mind, and it brought to mind 2 Tim 3:16. For some time I have been concentrating on the "all scriptures" part of that and realizing what the term meant when those words were written. But focusing on "inspired"...why isn't the entire bible just like the Hollywood "inspired" you speak of? Stories told, not written down, and passed along generation to generation by word of mouth, exaggerated and changed as could easily happen, until someone is "inspired" to write it down.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Terry, just wanted to share my thoughts which maybe deserve another thread.

• Terry
    Terry

But focusing on "inspired"...why isn't the entire bible just like the Hollywood "inspired" you speak of? Stories told, not written down, and passed along generation to generation by word of mouth, exaggerated and changed as could easily happen, until someone is "inspired" to write it down.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Terry, just wanted to share my thoughts which maybe deserve another thread.

At the moment the words, "All scripture is inspired. . ." was written, the writer didn't dream to presume his own words would one day be regarded as inspired.

The scripture of the moment would have been the SEPTUAGINT which certainly did NOT include anything floating around that later became so-called New Testament.

I often like to compare scriptures to those penny baseball cards of long ago that came free when kids bought bubble gum.

The baseball card was obviously worth less than a penny.

Gradually, as time went by and the players passed into history and their fame became the inspiration for fans, VALUATIONS CHANGED.

The same penny baseball card could be worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

Paul's letters were like baseball cards. They were passed around and some of them copied and kept. Eventually, with the passing of time, a real legendary status

attached itself and BINGO! Paul's letters (baseball cards) were collectibles attributed to DIVINE INSPIRATION. They became "holy."

Oh, by the way, here is an advertisement for my book:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/m0rtslaw

It has been out 3 weeks and only 30 copies have gone out. Alas!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

How can rank and file JW's miss the similarity to other religious

hierarchy ? Its Hierarchy, its CLERGY, its religious authority,

and they even have different "status" with God himself, according

to JW doctrine. Its about RULING a ruling class, they are all up into

this idea of "ruling with Christ" The evangelicals and other groups see

this rule as inward, in the heart. This is a real life or death power

over real people, its downright Catholic. ( no offense to Catholicsim

intended, since they are harmless, compared to the iron fisted control

of the Governing Body ) How can these delusional old men see themselves

as above everyone ? And how can the "sheep" not see them for the frauds they are?

How can the JW's possibly believe these guys have special exclusive rights to

Holy Spirit ? Its a delusional fantasy that makes them feel safe.

And in fact there is no real love among the wittnesses and they are cowards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit