Designated elder to shadow talks at the meeting

by wannaexit 11 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I heard that there is an elder in each congregation that follows very closely what is being said from stage to make sure everything is being said correctly. In all my years as a jw , I don't ever remember this at the local level. Is this something new??

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

You're probably referring to the "Auxiliary Counselor". It's not new. The School Overseer counsels just those who give talks on the School, except for the Bible Highlights. The Auxiliary Counselor counsels everyone else (Service Meeting parts, Bible Highlights and Public Talk, if necessary). They are supposed to rotate this annually among the elders. The reality is a that the Auxiliary Counselor forgets his job most of the time and doesn't do much in the way of counseling. At least, that's been my experience.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't remember at the local level, but only at the assemblies/conventions. Some elders like to adapt those procedures to local congregations. I remember when the brothers saw the CO with a table on the platform counseling the TMS students, some started doing the same until....the CO found out and ended it. When I left 12 years ago the WTS was still enforcing the "white shirt" rule at the conventions....but not at the KH but a few Talmudic elders kept it up. The last congregation finally gave in in this area about 10 years ago.

• sir82
    sir82

It is apparently done at circuit assemblies and district conventions.

There is no "official" arrangement to do this at local Kingdom Hall meetings, though I would not be surprised in the least if some Gestapo-wannabe elders took it upon themselves to try to maintain the "purity" of what is spoken from the platform.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby is very fond of his colored shirts.

And he wears slogan t-shirts underneath.

Closet rebel.

LOL

• losingit
    losingit

White shirts always look dingy. And if they're cean, they're going to get dingy. Just ewwww

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

The Ex once got counsel after giving a public talk while visiting a congregation. They didn't like that he used the word "slut" in his talk.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Cobalt -

Unbelievable!!!! Yet they will discuss totally age inappropriate material in front of young children, such as anal sex oral sex, group sex homosexuality, masturbation, mutual masturbation, demon possession and demon harassment.

I was once criticised by the elders for making an "inappropriate" comment at the Witchtower "study":

I called the woman at the well a "trollop" (a woman of dubious sexual propriety, accordng to the dictionary)

Yet their litanies of filth continue to poison the ears of little innocents. Once I had attended a "Christian Meeting" at the Kingdumb hell, I never drew a clean breath of air again....

HB

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Blondie, I once attended the Ministry School in a congregation in western Canada while visiting and my cousin's husband was the school overseer...he sat at a table set up on the platform on the opposite side of where the sister give their part. After returning home I asked him why he was sitting on the platform...and how could he see if the speaker had a good contact with the audience, facial expressions, the right posture, some of the gestures. His reply was that how it was done at the CA...In another hall the overseer sat at a table by the stairs leading to the platform so he could see the speaker at his right and the audience at his left. He gave councel from the desk and didnt go on and off the platform...that wasnt a bad idea.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I got talked to about my last couple of talks I gave. Then again, they were highly critical and promoted thinking for oneself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit