Was 1799 really changed in 1943?

by ILoveTTATT 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I am a bit confused... I am looking at Watchtowers from 1942, 1941, 1940, etc... and they are already saying that the enthronement, the last days, etc... all started in 1914.

Does anyone know the last reference to the following dates:

1914 as the end of the world

1915 as Armageddon

That would be appreciated, thanks!

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I find a 1928 reference still to 1874, where by then the parousia started in 1874 and the reigning started in 1914.

• Comatose
    Comatose

The Harp of God is an easy to acquire book on ebay. It has extensive writing on the dates you ask about. It is earlier though. But, for me it was pretty crazy seeing in writing that they thought 1914 was the rapture and armageddon. Nothing to do with Jesus reign starting or World War 1.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

in one of rutherford's books, mid 30s, the last days still started in 1799. it's a blue book, i think "creation".

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Thank you for your help!

So... what is the real meaning of the quote on the Proclaimer's book? The quote is this one:

"This was influenced by the belief that the seventh millennium of human history had begun in 1873 and that a period of divine disfavor (of equal length to a former period considered to be one of favor) upon natural Israel would end in 1878. The chronology was flawed because of relying on an inaccurate rendering of Acts 13:20 in the King James Version, belief that there was a transcription error at 1 Kings 6:1, and failure to take into account Biblical synchronisms in the dating of reigns of the kings of Judah and of Israel. A clearer understanding of Biblical chronology was published in 1943, in the book “The Truth Shall Make You Free,” and it was then refined the following year in the book “The Kingdom Is at Hand,” as well as in later publications."

There's another quote:

"Later on, during the years from 1935 through 1944, a review of the overall framework of Bible chronology revealed that a poor translation of Acts 13:19, 20 in the King James Version, along with certain other factors, had thrown off the chronology by over a century. This later led to the idea—sometimes stated as a possibility, sometimes more firmly—that since the seventh millennium of human history would begin in 1975, events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place then."

Also:

"See “The Truth Shall Make You Free,” chapter XI; “The Kingdom Is at Hand,” pages 171-5; also The Golden Age, March 27, 1935, pages 391, 412. In the light of these corrected tables of Bible chronology, it could be seen that previous use of the dates 1873 and 1878, as well as related dates derived from these on the basis of parallels with first-century events, were based on misunderstandings."

So I would guess that the changes all ocurred from 1935 until 1944? They slowly weaned off the Russell chronology?

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

@Comatose: I have already bought "the harp of God".... can't wait to actually have it in my hands so I can show it to my dad... He's a bit skeptical of the WT's found online...

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

1799 - taught until mid-late 1920s

1874 - began to be phased out from late 1920s, last mention of it I think was in wt 1932 and official change took place in 1943

1878 - was changed to 1914 in early 1920s (1922?)

1914 - was official date of end of gentiles, Armageddon, but a year or two prior to 1914 Russell did mention that it might be 1915 rather than 1914

1925 is a totaly different prediction that Rutherford came out with, which according to Rutherford had more bible support than 1914 itself.

Note that original dates were based on several calculation that tied the events together, it was something Russell appeared to have believed till the day he dropped dead. Read Thy Kingdom Come book for a deeper understanding of how these dates were supported

Also, wts explanation change from 1874 to 1914 doesn't really make sense since they used 6000 years to calculate 1874 and if KJ was problematic and was off by 100 years why didn't they move JC's return to 1975 rather than to 1914 which seen WW1 happen which was a good selling feature why JC returned in that year.

• TD
    TD

The last mention of 1799 as the start of the 'Time Of The End' ever to appear in JW literature was in the 1927 publication Creation on page 293

Read this if you have time

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/Historical%20Idealism%20and%20Jehovahs%20Witnesses.pdf

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So you mean to say T.D, that Jesus inspected all the religions, chose the "small group at H.Q" in 1919, and forgot, right up until 1927, to tell them this major bit of interpretation was manure ?

So he allowed his chosen FDS to teach lies and falsehood for years ?

How strange is that ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit