Christians and conspiracy theories?

by Seraphim23 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, the government is definitely capable of excess. But there is no conspiracy. Blame ignorance, blame incompetence, blame inertia, but it is not a conspiracy.

• cofty
    cofty

Its also the false comfort of believing somebody is ultimately in charge even if its a bogeyman.

The idea that events really are random and capricious is frightening to them. Perhaps its a child-like need for a parent figure.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Rolling Stone: Everything Is Rigged: The Biggest Price-Fixing Scandal Ever

The Illuminati were amateurs. The second huge financial scandal of the year reveals the real international conspiracy: There's no price the big banks can't fix

By Matt Taibbi April 25, 2013 1:00 PM ET

Conspiracy theorists of the world, believers in the hidden hands of the Rothschilds and the Masons and the Illuminati, we skeptics owe you an apology. You were right. The players may be a little different, but your basic premise is correct: The world is a rigged game. We found this out in recent months, when a series of related corruption stories spilled out of the financial sector, suggesting the world's largest banks may be fixing the prices of, well, just about everything......

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/everything-is-rigged-the-biggest-financial-scandal-yet-20130425#ixzz2h91Mj33M
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/everything-is-rigged-the-biggest-financial-scandal-yet-20130425

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

High-Level American Officials Admit that the United States Uses False Flag Terror … And Warn of Future Attacks

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/06/high-level-american-officials-admit-that-the-united-states-uses-false-flag-terror-and-warn-of-future-attacks.html

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Meet the Satanic Sabbatean Cult that created the Watchtower....

http://www.savethemales.ca/the_satanic_cult_that_rules_th.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

ProdigalSon, you are using "appeal to authority" and "confirmation bias" to bolster your position. I have been close enough to the seats of power to see how it works. Imagine your local grocer getting elected and trying to make the best decisions for his state based on his limited experience and his sincere desire to get voted in again. It is ordinary people with all their flaws and foibles, running the show.

• j dubb
    j dubb

"Oh, the government is definitely capable of excess. But there is no conspiracy . Blame ignorance, blame incompetence, blame inertia, but it is not a conspiracy ."

Really? Anytime two or more parties secretly collude to accomplish something illegal, immoral, or shady, it is a conspiracy. There are countless conspiracies taking place continually at different levels of government. Anytime two or more congressmen agree to vote a certain way because of political or monetary or other interests hidden to the public or coerce another to vote a certain way, it is a conspiracy.

We know about the few that have actually come to light. My god, our entire banking/financial system is a conpiracy against the public.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

"I have been close enough to the seats of power to see how it works."

For somebody to accuse somebody else of using "appeal to authority" and then you come out with a line that jgnat, do you expect people to appeal to your authority because you may have rubbed elbows with some people in power? Are you sure you are not guilty of your own confirmation bias?

LRG

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Man has a tendency to conspiracy theories because the ability of man to see patterns has given man a comparative advanatage so we have evolved with a strong abiliyt to identify patterns - the problem is we overuse it and see patterns where there are none and draw conclusions from too little information and ascribe actors with more power and influence than they actually have.

Also, the simpler someone's worldview, the more they engage in black and white thinking, the more they want to be able to explain everything and the less comfortable they are with uncertainty and ambiguity, the more likely they are to be conspriacy theorists. Hence why Witnesses are classic conspiracy theorists. Indeed the whole Great Babylon (the Catholic Church) being controlled by Satan and corrupting Christianity claims by the WBTS is a huge conspiracy theory which is easily exposed by the other conspiracy theory about Satan being behind scientific thought and the theory of evolution. Conspiracy theories are also great for explaining why everyone else can't see the truth that is evident to you and which prevents you from getting them to accept the truth you present to them. So I can see how other religious groups, including christian ones could be exponenets of conspiracy theories.

I think there is a lot to the adage: 'If you have a choice between and a conspiracy theory and a crew-up theory on how and why something happened, in most cases the screw-up theory will be correct.' In practice humans have so many weaknesses and difficulties in planning in environments of uncertainty that few things involving large numbers of people actually go as planned and the more complex it is, the less it goes to plan.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My authority comes from reading their files. I have been in a lot of file rooms. There's always a paper trail.

There's a difference between a couple criminals planning to screw the system and claiming that the entire financial system is against us. In the US, deregulation was a mistake. Canada did not follow the US's lead on this, and our banking system is relatively robust.

I don't have to jump down the rabbit hole and prove all these conspiracies false. Common sense rules. The simplest explanation is most likely true. Investigate that. If the simplest explanation fails, then, maybe.

All the way up, I've rarely come across an intelligence greater than our local grocer. The simplest explanation wins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit