Videos of a few key moments from the Annual Meeting

by cedars 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yikes, how do you figure that one out? Can't brothers and sisters be equal, or am I on the wrong page?!

I see that the reason was already mentioned in an earlier post. This is what will have been at the back of the speaker's mind:

[Simon, the stupid indent button doesn't work any more! Neither do the superscript/subscript buttons!]

w92 5/15 p. 12 par. 10

Among those successfully meeting this test of devotion to God are quite a number of our Christian sisters, for whom we have the deepest regard. In various lands, they outnumber the brothers and therefore have a major share in the preaching work. Indeed, “Jehovah himself gives the saying; the women telling the good news are a large army.” (Psalm 68:11)

w91 1/1 p. 23 par. 14 Be Filled With Joy

It is of interest that in many lands, such as the United States, about 75 percent of all pioneer publishers are sisters, giving force to the words of Psalm 68:11: “Jehovah himself gives the saying; the women telling the good news are a large army.” Our sisters are to be commended in that they are doing the greater part of the field work. Their skillful teaching at home Bible studies is leading many to the truth ...

I'm sorry you think I ranted, but I maintain that an Annual Meeting is no place for sexist sentiment

Oh come off it.

Anyway, you said I was welcome to reach my own conclusion. That was it

• cedars
    cedars

Hi AnnOMaly, thanks for that information. I don't think we can say definitively what Jackson meant because he didn't explain himself, but I take the point that he could have been referring the sisters somehow wearing their bibles out more quickly - not that I think this would justify his "sister proof" gag on an occasion such as this.

I've made a few edits to my latest article to reflect a bit more uncertainty as to what he meant and tone it down a little. I do appreciate your feedback.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well we can never be 100% sure what anyone means, ever. But I'm 99% sure you got the wrong end of the stick on this one Cedars. But I'm also 99% sure you won't accept you're wrong so don't know why people are wasting their breath. The rest of what you wrote was good anyway.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

SBF - don't start winding him up again, pleeeease.

• cedars
    cedars

slimboyfat

But I'm also 99% sure you won't accept you're wrong so don't know why people are wasting their breath. The rest of what you wrote was good anyway.

That's the closest thing to a compliment I'm likely to get from you, so I'll gladly take it! Thank you!

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ann are you trying to wind me up?

It's a bit of a curate's egg situation, if you know what I mean, so somewhat frustrating. Anyway it's all to the good.

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

i havent listened to a talk since the memorial. That made my stomach turn. As a woman and a parent, im completely disgusted.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Some special meeting LOL!

These guys on the Governing Body are so very boring. I expect suicides will be on the increase if all they have to offer is some bull shit about staying away from the world and yippee! a bible museum!, Oh WOW!.

So antieventful. They(GB) all sound like they are on antidepressants or something. I bet they are wishing they can just pull a rabbit out of their hat or something, these guys sound so clueless in the way they use the bible and all.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Thanks Cedars.

Bangalore

• Terry
    Terry

I'm old enough to know that communist countries were treated to the same kind of speeches about production, productivity and modernization under

Joseph Stalin and Chairman Mao. The worker hive mentality was given a gray, Utopian joy to applaud.

I found the RNWT speech depressing. What a sad little life for 7 million hostages.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/m0rtslaw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit