Why did they write a new bible?

by snare&racket 18 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket
    Works of unknown authorship 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work is made. However, if the work is made available to the public during that time then copyright expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which it is first made publicly available.

I wonder if this is the motive for a new bible?

• 5go
    5go

I tend to buy their reason the old one was pretty hard to read in todays english. Thought it is clear to me they wanted to also make certian changes they made in the old one less obvious.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The real reason = $

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I made the same observation, but others were apparently not convinced.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/259595/1/Is-a-possible-revised-NWT-prompted-by-lapsing-copyright

I still think copyright was likely a consideration. In fact they also mentioned about copyrighting the new front, so these issues were obviously on their mind in its production.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I tend to buy their reason the old one was pretty hard to read in todays english

I remember when I was growing up my mother always said when asked if the JW Bible is different, she would say that just the "thee" and "thou" and all those words are not in the Dub Bible, funny that all other REAL religions seem to have no problem.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yeah, Shirley - thee, thou - big deal.

I think they wanted a new translation to make changes favorable to the JW dogma. And money.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

5go, what exactly was hard to read about it? Besides i think you will find it will read EXACTLY the same on monday but will have a few words changed to suit their teachings.

It still won't be Dan Brown, but it is getting nearer on every 'revision' of god's holy texts .....lol

I don't doubt they had some motive and it for sure wasnt the wild changes in english in the last 50years....that is less than one GENERATION ago... Lol

But copyright is a major issue for WT, think about it, they dont have any real products or produce.... Text is all they have, and copyright is all they have to protect the text.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

slimboyfat:

In fact they also mentioned about copyrighting the new front, so these issues were obviously on their mind in its production.

That's a slightly different issue (and it was font, not front). Typefaces are subject to copyright. Even the common typefaces supplied with personal computers such as Times New Roman or Helvetica can only be legitimately used by end-users because the operating system (or other third-party software that provides the fonts) includes the licences to use the fonts. (Some fonts are provided under a freeware licence, but this is the exception, not the rule.) Use of a typeface without a valid licence is an infringment of copyright. When an individual does that, it's not strictly legal, but not as much of a big deal as when a massive printing corporation does it. That's why they had to design some new fonts. It's also why most of the fonts already in JW publications were designed in-house.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know the different between a font and a front. I am writing on my iPad and it routinely changes my words for some reason.

The parody of the NWT on anorther thread presumably could not legally be done using the new font. That was my point.

• HayDay
    HayDay

I'm sure it's 100% marketing. The WBTS has been revamping their publication image for years. The slimed and trimmed the magazines, fresh new graphic design, bold colorful photos. They've added MP3 audio books, better website format. Updated song book. Snazzy new advertising boards for street witnessing. They want to freshen the dry and stale image that people have of Christianity and brand themselves as keeping with the times. Remember, as a Christian religion they have plenty of competition -especially in the United States. They depend completely on the general Christian public respecting the bible as an authority, especially their version of the bible. If they give the bible a bit of a makeover they keep it fresh and appealing.

Marketing aside, what they fail to ultimately understand about the information age is that the more information a culture has access to, the less superstition will be absorbed by its people. You can put a tuxedo on a turd -it's still a turd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit