Adam: OMG, WTF Eve?!!

by laverite 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• laverite
    laverite

The NEW [revised] NWT (N-NWT) apparently has simplified, contemporary language that can be understood by the people of today (with 13% less clutter, and fewer references to kidneys) who are now contemporaries of the 1914 Generation.

I can only imagine some of the newly revised passages (starting with a conversation between Adam and Eve after the big oopsie).I know the PDF version will be online soon. I do wonder about the full searchable version on jw.org and when that will go live. And, with Armageddon being within the next millenium, these are truly exciting times! OMG!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not that I am a fan of the Bible, but any simplifying will only allow them to have inserted more JW doctrine supporting balderdash.

I had a feeling the AGM was much ado about a waste of time. Can't hardly wait for further breakdown of "nothing" on JWN.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Other than confirming the Grey NWT rumors the whole AGM is a complete disappointment and a step further into cultish worship of the GB "sooper-stars".

• adamah
    adamah

Laverite said-

The NEW [revised] NWT (N-NWT) apparently has simplified, contemporary language that can be understood by the people of today (with 13% less clutter, and fewer references to kidneys) who are now contemporaries of the 1914 Generation.

And that is EXACTLY how the Bible gets updated and refreshed to hide "the skeletons in the closet" over the centuries, updating words that otherwise would reveal to readers it's ancient origins. Think of it as the Bible getting a face lift or botox to hide it's true age. Hence the Bible gets to maintain the mystique, but loses the wrinkles.

Most publishers simply change edition numbers without all the fanfare and to-do, and simply update the book: not the WT!

You're clearly aware of how the process works, Laverite, since you made a reference to kidneys (KJV renders the Hebrew word as 'reins'), which the ancient Hebrews believed were the centers of decision-making, with a matched pair used to make binary decisions. Of course, ancients believed the organs of cognition and thinking were contained in the torso (brain, kidneys, liver, etc), which explains passages such as "God examined my kidneys while I was still in the womb".

So as you say, I'd expect much less firmament, flat Earth (they might as well jump to using the word, globe', at this point), and less kidneys and "thoughts of the heart" references (to be replaced with "mind"), etc. Noah's going to be using outboard motors and a GPS unit to navigate towards Mt Ararat before too long.

Adam

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

NNWT tells how the disciples went door-to-door, and to busy transportation centers with carts loaded with the good news. It was always right there in the Greek, but Satan blinded our eyes to it.

NNWT tells how the gathering of older men in Jerusalem was the gathering of a "Governing Body" and a single reference at Matthew 24:45 to "faithful and discreet slave" in the NWT is replaced in the NNWT with "Governing Body" just as a way of making it easier to understand what the scriptures were referencing to.

There is also a note added at Matt. 18:17 where Jesus does indeed instruct the congregation to take unresolved issues of wrongdoing "to the congregation." The note adds that, at that very moment, Jesus then gathered with two other apostles and whispered that it was okay for three elders to handle a matter in secret. The note explains that while that was not in the scriptures, Ted Jaracz has been in contact with the Governing Body since receiving his heavenly calling, and he personally asked "Matthew" about it and "Matthew" said, "What, my note got lost?"

• laverite
    laverite

Awesome posts, gentlemen. The ridiculousness of all of this is clearly not lost on our community here at JWN. Too bad so many of those still in can't see it all for what it is.

I cry for you Argentina.

• blondie
    blondie

It would be quite a jump to go to a paraphrased version since the WTS has denigrated those consistently. The introduction of the NWT says this:

*** Rbi8 pp. 6-7 Introduction ***

In the New World Translation an effort was made to capture the authority, power, dynamism and directness of the original Hebrew and Greek Scriptures and to convey these characteristics in modern English.

This translation is presented in modern English, using current speech forms, and does not use archaic English even in the various prayers and addresses to God. Thus we have not used the now-sanctimonious formal pronouns thou, thy, thine, thee and ye, with their corresponding verb inflections.

Paraphrases of the Scriptures are not offered. Rather, an effort has been made to give as literal a translation as possible where the modern-English idiom allows and where a literal rendition does not, by any awkwardness, hide the thought. In that way the desire of those who are scrupulous for getting an almost word-for-word statement of the original is met. It is realized that even such a seemingly insignificant matter as the use or omission of a comma or of a definite or an indefinite article may at times alter the correct sense of the original passage.

Taking liberties with the texts for the mere sake of brevity, and substituting some modern parallel when a literal rendering of the original makes good sense, has been avoided. Uniformity of rendering has been maintained by assigning one meaning to each major word and by holding to that meaning as far as the context permits. At times this has imposed a restriction upon word choice, but it aids in cross-reference work and in comparing related texts.

*** w08 5/1 pp. 21-22 How Can You Choose a Good Bible Translation? ***

What About Free Translations?

Translators who produce what are frequently referred to as paraphrase Bibles, or free translations, take liberties with the text as presented in the original languages. How so? They either insert their opinion of what the original text could mean or omit some of the information contained in the original text. Paraphrase translations may be appealing because they are easy to read. However, their very freeness at times obscures or changes the meaning of the original text.

Consider the way that one paraphrase Bible translates Jesus’ famous model prayer: “Our Father in heaven, reveal who you are.” (Matthew 6:9, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language) A more accurate translation of Jesus’ words renders this passage: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” Note, too, the way that John 17:26 is rendered in some Bibles. According to one free translation, on the night of his arrest, Jesus said to his Father in prayer: “I made you known to them.” (Today’s English Version) However, a more faithful rendering of Jesus’ prayer reads: “I have made your name known to them.” Can you see how some translators actually hide the fact that God has a name that should be used and honored?

Why the Need for Caution?

Some free translations obscure the moral standards conveyed in the original text. For example, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language says at 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10: “Don’t you realize that this is not the way to live? Unjust people who don’t care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don’t qualify as citizens in God’s kingdom.”

Compare that version with the more accurate rendering found in the New World Translation: “What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom.” Notice that the details outlined by the apostle Paul on exactly what kind of conduct we should avoid are not even mentioned in the free translation.

Doctrinal bias can also color a translator’s work. For example, Today’s English Version, commonly called the Good News Bible, has Jesus saying to his followers: “Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy, and there are many who travel it.” (Matthew 7:13) The translators inserted the term “hell” even though Matthew’s account clearly says “destruction.” Why did they do so? Likely, it is because they want to promote the idea that the wicked will be eternally tormented, not destroyed.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I'm looking forward to the reviews on NWT 2.0. And regardless of the Society's intentions, there's no way the new version can help being bereft in doctrinal exegeses. In John 17:26, where Jesus tells the Father, in prayer, that he has made His name known to them. Even if that is a literal translation, it ignores the fact that making one's "name" known to someone is a Greek idiom for making one known to someone. If you're a name-oriented religion, and you think the Father's name is "Jehovah," then the emphasis on the name means much more than that of teaching the apostles about the nature and being of the Father. Then, JWs will point out that scripture to show the ignorant how important the name is, while missing the actual point. That's what makes translation such a difficult process.

It would be like talking about the "road to destruction" and emphasizing the road rather than hell or destruction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit