Another Lie - Watchtower December 2013

by Listener 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

I just thought I would have another look at the December 2013 Watchtower in light of the AGM tommorrow. Slimboyfat had pointed out that even though there is a whole study article on the memorial, there is not one mention of the 144,000 (by number) and it may become new light that the number is no longer literal.

Anway I came across this bold outright lie

Page 22 para 4

"4. No doubt you will be present for the one event

that Jesus said his followers should commemorate

annually."

Nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus instructed his followers to commemorate the Lord's evening meal once a year.

Why would they make such a claim? This Watchtower is even weirder than normal. It goes into great depth about the importance of the date the memorial is held on.

Anyway, back to this idea of the 144,000 no longer being literal. There is this statement made

One is the hope of reigning with

Christ in heaven, the hope entertained

by a relatively small number of Christ’s

followers, such as the faithful apostles.

(Luke 12:32; 22:19, 20; Rev. 14:1"

Notice that even thought they have quoted Revelation 14:1 which talks about 144,000, they have defined this as simply being a relatively small number.

• factfinder
    factfinder

That does seem strange they did not mention the 144,000.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Excellent catch Listener! And excellent point...

Regarding the number 144,000, I think they're realizing that it's time to call it a symbolic number again. Otherwise, history will repeat itself...

Case in point, the dissapointment of 1925 which was played down on page 337 of Your Will Be Done on Earth:

MemAttend

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

If they change the literal number 144,000 I will not be happy.

When I first started studying at about the age of 13 with the son of an elder I argued that the number couldn't be literal when all the component parts of the context scripture means it has to be figurative. I was told 'that is the belief'.

It will anger me that they will (if they do) change it not because of spiritual enlightenment but because of the mathematics of the increasing number of partakers. Just like the generation change.

I don't want them to change it. I want them to carry on looking more ridiculous. Unless, of course, it results in more leaving like the generation change.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The Dec 2013 WT quoted above contradicts the Reasoning Book.

*** rs p. 269 Memorial (Lord’s Evening Meal) ***

How often is the Memorial to be commemorated, and when?

Jesus did not specifically state how often it was to be done. He simply said: “Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” (Luke 22:19)

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Nice contradiction highlighted Bobcat!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Listener:

there is not one mention of the 144,000

Very unlikely that they're backing away from it being a literal number.

In the last few years, the number of partakers has been going up at the 'memorial', though it's supposed to be going down. Because 144,000 is a fairly big number, it's not in their interests to mention it, as it may imply that there's still spaces left.

Basically their point is: "Attention JWs: Heaven is full!"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Things are truly speeding up in the "time of the end." Just the wrong things for WT "Theology":

• “Six convincing lines of evidence that we are in the last days” … "Sixth, the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins. Most of the remnant are quite elderly, and over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller.” - w00 1/15, p. 13 - [Emphasis added]
    • "Over the past seven years, from 1974 to 1980 inclusive, Jehovah’s Witnesses have made steady progress. Their growth is healthy. Only as to Memorial partakers has there been a gradual decline, which is in accord with Scriptural expectations." - 1981 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, p. 31 - [Emphasis added]

From jwfacts.com:

Memorial Partakers

Increasing Memorial Partakers

"The Watchtower has long said the anointed class was closed in 1935. Since then, the number of anointed Jehovah's Witnesses began decreasing. In 2007, it was admitted there is no Scriptural basis for 1935, and since that time memorial partakers have been on the increase." - jwfacts.com

Since 1948

Since 1991

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What that should do is remove the time constraint. If the 144,000 is figurative, there is no limit, and there could be several more rounds before this ends--rounds of 2000 or more years, at that. And generations endlessly strung end to end like Christmas lights. Hopefully, that is going to slow down field circus so more witlesses are going to be spending more time browsing bookstores (and browsing books, not customers) and taking endless coffee breaks and less time doing door to door. Only the most pious are going to be out actually doing preaching every minute.

As for where the 144,000 came from, there are actually that many pathways for bioelectricity in the human body. These are called "nadis", and they are represented by the Tree of Life (which is where that came from). This is why a well-lit Christmas tree is so appealing, since one nadi equals one light. Optimally, you would have 144,000 tiny lights on your Christmas tree. Of course, that is practically impossible. However, that is why I so recommend using excess numbers of undersized lights on your Christmas tree for maximum appeal. Now, that number is not figurative.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Nice! Yep, it's a symbolic number IMO. Either that or the 144,000 has been filled by earlier Christians, with the Great Crowd coming after. Either way the WTBTS will have 2 choices. Continue it's mad course like Balaam, and continue to tell others that they DO NOT partake as in last years totally new memorial outline. Or they can tack in the wind again, and adopt a past view and tout it as a "clarification." Going with the symbolic number is their only real choice if they chose to stop being so controlling. They CANNOT say that all Christians have a heavenly hope, that would destroy their corporation. They can release nu-light about the 144,000 being symbolic. That, coupled with the ridiculous overlapping generation dogma, can extend the life of the Corporation for decades. Considering the " 8 Dukes" and media articles, I think we can safely say they have chosen the course of Balaam.

They can have a symbolic 144,00, which will aid in filling the ranks of the GB/FDS as time drags on and the END does not come. In the meantime, they can still DF or shun anyone, including partakers because they are nothing special, not being part of the GB/FDS. Just think if the Apostles were alive today and disagreed with the GB/FDS on something like blood fractions. They would be considered apostates and probably DF'd. So they lose nothing by having a symbolic 144,000. The control remains the same, but they look "progressive."

Oubliette,

Excellent point! I noticed that too. One of the GB's predictions while claiming to speak for YHWH, is that partakers would decrease. Since they are increasing, the GB/FDS makes sure to add the word "truly". It's similar to the " no true Scotsman " argument. Sure there may be more partakers, but are they genuine?!? How could we ever know? They would support the GB/FDS unquestionably, of course! Why? Because Jesus appointed the GB/FDS. How do we know? Jesus appointed them over all his belongings, err, umm, domestics. How do we know? Jesus trusts them. How do we know? Continue circular reasoning........... So ANY partaker, not in the forefront, not giving talks, not pioneering, not on the DC, not at Warwick, not an Elder or Elder's Wife, NOT VISIBLY IMPORTANT OR PROMINENT, will always be suspect. Give a different opinion, or love a different " idea" than David Splane, and you are OUT! Believe privately and you are an apostate. Say that the 144,000 is sybolic before it's official and it also apostasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit