celebration of birthdays...a matter of conscience?

by Angst 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Angst
    Angst

My family and I have argued about this for awhile now and I would like someone to confirm this.

Back in the late nineties at a district convention during the late Sunday afternoon (yawn) symposium I swear I heard mention that the society now views the celebration of ones birthday to be a conscience matter and should be done with extreme caution so as not to affend others who may still view it as wrong.

Forgive me for not remembering which year it was that this was mentioned. All I remember is that it was the last DC I ever attended.

I would sure appreciate some closure on this. Thanks in advance to all that reply!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Celebrating birthdays and wedding anniversaries was a subject of a Questions From Readers in a WT going back a few years. Not sure what date though. The WT said that celebrating them was a "matter of conscience", although they sneakily put right at the end of the article that "spiritually mature Christians" would not celebrate birthdays.

All the witnesses I knew never celebrated birthdays, but wedding anniversaries was a big occasion. A few families I know would make it a family affair, with the whole family exchanging presents and going out for a meal, or celebrating with a small party at home.

• Angst
    Angst

Good, good now can anyone verify the QFR date? And/or post a copy of it on the net?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Here ya go...
    - - - - -
    9/1/92 QUESTIONS FROM READERS

Questions From Readers
    Do Jehovah's Witnesses avoid celebrating birthdays because the practice had some religious meaning in ancient times?

Celebrating birthdays is rooted in superstition and false religion, but that is not the sole or prime reason why Jehovah's Witnesses avoid the practice.

Some customs that were once religious in nature no longer are in many places. For example, the wedding ring once had religious significance, but in most places today, it no longer does. Hence, many true Christians accept the local custom of wearing a wedding ring to give evidence that a person is married. In such matters, what generally is influential is whether a practice is now linked to false religion.-See "Questions From Readers" in The Watchtower of January 15, 1972, and October 15, 1991.

There is no denying, though, that numerous reference works reveal the superstitious and religious antecedents of celebrating birthdays. The Encyclopedia Americana (1991 edition) notes: "The ancient world of Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Persia celebrated the birthdays of gods, kings, and nobles." It says that the Romans observed the birth of Artemis and the day of Apollo. In contrast, "although the ancient Israelis kept records of the ages of their male citizens, there is no evidence that they had any festivities on the anniversary of the birth date."

Other reference works go into considerable detail about the origin of birthday celebrations: 'Birthday parties began years ago in Europe. People believed in good and evil spirits, sometimes called good and evil fairies. Everyone was afraid of these spirits, that they would cause harm to the birthday celebrant, and so he was surrounded by friends and relatives whose good wishes, and very presence, would protect him against the unknown dangers that the birthday held. Giving gifts brought even greater protection. Eating together provided a further safeguard and helped to bring the blessings of the good spirits. So the birthday party was originally intended to make a person safe from evil and to insure a good year to come.'-Birthday Parties Around the World, 1967.

The book explains, too, the origin of many birthday customs. For example: "The reason [for using candles] goes back to the early Greeks and Romans who thought that tapers or candles had magical qualities. They would offer prayers and make wishes to be carried up to the gods by the flames of candles. The gods would then send down their blessings and perhaps answer the prayers." Other such background information is collected on pages 69 and 70 of Reasoning From the Scriptures, published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

As mentioned, however, more is involved in this question than whether celebrating birthdays was or still is religious. The Bible brings up the matter of birthdays, and mature Christians wisely are sensitive to any indications it gives.

God's servants of old noted when individuals were born, which allowed them to figure ages. We read: "Noah got to be five hundred years old. After that Noah became father to Shem, Ham and Japheth." "In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, . . . all the springs of the vast watery deep were broken open."-Genesis 5:32; 7:11; 11:10-26.
    As even Jesus mentioned, among God's people childbirth was a blessed, happy event. (Luke 1:57, 58; 2:9-14; John 16:21) Yet, Jehovah's people did not memorialize the date of birth; they kept other anniversaries but not birthdays. (John 10:22, 23) Encyclopaedia Judaica says: "The celebration of birthdays is unknown in traditional Jewish ritual." Customs and Traditions of Israel observes: "The celebration of birthdays has been borrowed from the practices of other nations, as no mention is made of this custom among Jews either in The Bible, Talmud, or writings of the later Sages. In fact, it was an ancient Egyptian custom."

That Egyptian connection is clear from a birthday celebration related in the Bible, one that true worshipers were not observing. It was the birthday feast of the Pharaoh who ruled while Joseph was in an Egyptian prison. Some of those pagans may have been happy over the feast, yet the birthday was linked to the beheading of the chief of Pharaoh's bakers.-Genesis 40:1-22.

A similar unfavorable light is shed on the other birthday celebration described in the Scriptures-that of Herod Antipas, son of Herod the Great. This birthday celebration is hardly presented in the Bible as just innocent festivity. Rather, it occasioned the beheading of John the Baptizer. Then, "his disciples came up and removed the corpse and buried him and came and reported to Jesus," who 'withdrew from there into a lonely place for isolation.' (Matthew 14:6-13) Do you imagine that those disciples or Jesus felt drawn to the practice of birthday celebrations?

Given the known origin of celebrating birthdays, and more important, the unfavorable light in which they are presented in the Bible, Jehovah's Witnesses have ample reason to abstain from the practice. They do not need to follow this worldly custom, for they can and do have happy meals any time during the year. Their gift giving is not obligatory or under the pressure of a party; it is spontaneous sharing of gifts at any time out of generosity and genuine affection.-Proverbs 17:8; Ecclesiastes 2:24; Luke 6:38; Acts 9:36, 39; 1 Corinthians 16:2, 3.

• freeman
    freeman

Lets not forget about that “spiritually immature” complainer JOB. Remember him?

The Bible says each of his children had their “special day”. My living Bible translates it to each had their “Birthdays”. Oh the utter BULLSHIT we were fed by the Watchtower!

Freeman

• Room 215
    Room 215

Birthdays may be technically ``a matter of conscience'' but anyone of long-standing association knows that the peer pressure to conform is enormous..... I think people may even been Dfd over this issue.

Funny thing: when I was in Bethel, a lovely old lady (of the remnant harking back to the days of Russell) had three grandsons at Bethel and never failed to mail them her famous ``tunnel of fudge'' bundt cake on their birthdays.. I often had the pleasure of sharing in devouring them.

• AlanF
    AlanF

At one time celebrating a birthday would get you DF'd, but a few years ago I looked into this and found that, while the Society frowns on it and elders will remove all "privileges of service" from someone who is known to celebrate one, they cannot DF someone for it nor can they declare that the person has DA'd. This contrasts with celebrating a supposedly religious holiday like Christmas, which will result in judical committee action. The semi-secret elders manual Pay Attention to All the Flock contains a list of all DF'ing actions; celebrating a birthday is not on it.

AlanF

• detective
    detective
    It says that the Romans observed the birth of Artemis and the day of Apollo. In contrast, "although the ancient Israelis kept records of the ages of their male citizens, there is no evidence that they had any festivities on the anniversary of the birth date."

Yup. The division of public records in my city hall knows when I was born. They don't keep on file how many people partook of the cookie monster cake I had back on my fourth birthday.

• Valis
    Valis

Alan, what's the possibility of getting a scan of that list? It would really help cut through confusion that happens when we talk about what is and what is not grounds for the DA or DF.

• LDH
    LDH

Alan is correct, it is not a df'ing matter.

Here you can see the WT stunning hypocrisy:

Celebrating birthdays is rooted in superstition and false religion, but that is not the sole or prime reason why Jehovah's Witnesses avoid the practice.

Some customs that were once religious in nature no longer are in many places. For example, the wedding ring once had religious significance, but in most places today, it no longer does. Hence, many true Christians accept the local custom of wearing a wedding ring to give evidence that a person is married. In such matters, what generally is influential is whether a practice is now linked to false religion.-See "Questions From Readers" in The Watchtower of January 15, 1972, and October 15, 1991

So, they sneakily skirt the old wedding ring argument by saying it has little to no religious significance today, although that may have been its basis while at the same time saying we don't celebrate birthdays because of their religious origins.

Of course, at all the bdays I've been to we break out in worship of Satan! [8>]

I can tell you this: wishing you family member or friend good health and giving them a token of your affection does not an evil person make.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit