Should JWs have 1st names of pagan origin?

by badboy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Someone in a church I once attended changed their name from Mim to something else because Mim was the name of a famous witch.

Should Jws have/give(to their children)1st names that are of pagan origin eg phoebe?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Absolutely not.

Don't forget that many of the names in the Bible were of pagan origin. Better to err on the side of sound Christian judgement than incur the wrath of Jah (shudder).

All Jws should be named either Jehovah or Jesus.

In cases of large families, the use of newly invented names like Azwepay (asswipe), Skidmark, LaTrina or Clamidia would be acceptable to the scripturally trained conscience. Descriptive names like Pinhead, Flatfoot, LeakyBowel or WetBed are also acceptable. Short phrases or common words spolled backwards, like YouuKNow and Yardirf, have a charming cachet to them.

Names like IHateCatholics or JewsKilledJesus should be avoided, however, because it is impossible to know how our organization's loyalties might shift in the future, and we wouldn't want to bear a name that might stumble our business partners.

- Brother Skidmark Leakybowel, Service Dept.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I hope that "Mim" has a more ancient pedigree than the one I can think of - Madame Mim was a witch in the Disney comics! Imagine the Dubs changing things due to the influence of Donald Duck!

• TR
    TR

LOL! I love this!

Another way to rename dubs would be to make up biblical names like:

Yeheshuaphat

Zophorphenique

BlowJob

Bildeadbeatdad

Uzziiah

Asskickua

Joelisgay

Ruthless

AuntEsther

Ezekikill

Hosemea

AniAmosity

Habitchslapbakkuk

She'saHaggai

Mallardachi

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

"And now we have a new speaker from the Valhalla congregation, brother Thor Bloodaxe... "

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

"... plus i have here an announcement that is to be read out to all in the congregation tonight ... (shuffles papers) ... (can't find the darn letter) ... ahh yes ... um ... here it is ... if i can have your attention please ... Brother Jody Christmas would henceforth wish .. um sorry i mean want ... to be known as Brother John Christmas ... thank you for your attention ..."

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Nathan and TR - LOL TOOOOOO FUNNY!

First Middle Last
    Ima Les Beian
    Isock Dick Foreva
    Jay Dubs Arefried

• Matty
    Matty

There was always that really self-righteous family in the congregation that named their kids really weird bible names.

"Come on Josiah, Eleazar, Aeneas, Prisca and Aquila - time to go home now darlings!"

I always feel sorry for kids with obscure names - imagine the teasing they would get at school!

• flower
    flower

I have an obscure biblical name but I wasnt really teased for it. Just frustrated by mispronounciations. I dont think there is anything wrong with having an unique name as long as its not something stupid sounding that no one can possibly remember or pronounce.

• flower
    flower

oops my puter has the hiccups i guess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit