The Watchtower *trinity*

by ChristianObserver 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hello :o)

As a relative newcomer, I don't know whether anyone has ever made this observation before - so apologies if they have.

One of the main areas of disagreement between Jehovah's Witnesses and orthodox Christians is the 'Trinity'.

To an outsider (i.e. Christian - not a Jehovah's Witness), the organisation has their own *trinity* which has replaced the orthodox 'Trinity' of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The command at
    Matthew 28 v 19 - 20: 'Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen'
    appears to have been 'modified' by the organisation in relation to their understanding of *baptism as one of Jehovah's Witnesses*.

I would suggest that the organisational *trinity* (a concept vehemently opposed by the organisation as having its roots in paganism etc) consists of the following:

Jehovah (God and Father)
    WTBTS (God's channel of communication and the *mother* -see publications)
    Jesus (archangel Michael and the Son)

The Holy Spirit seems to me to have been demoted to a place *outside* this trinity - it is seen as *God's impersonal force* and therefore not on a par with the *trinity family* of the organisation, where the organisation takes the place of *mother* - the one who nurtures and *raises* the *offspring* paying attention to whether *milk* or *strong meat* is suitable as the spiritual food at any given time. Can any Jehovah's Witness justify this 'scripturally'?

Whilst criticising the Roman Catholics on account of Mary, the mother of Jesus, the *organisation* appears to have formed a *trinity* with its auto-biographical representation of itself in the maternal role.

Hmm..........!

Can anyone kindly explain to me where the Holy Spirit figures in WTBTS theology - especially in relation to the *anointed class*?

With thanks :o)

• Scully
    Scully

I have thought about this before, but never actually verbalized it.

It's incredible how the WTS has the audacity to usurp Jesus' authority to Christians by calling itself "mother", whereas Jesus is merely God's "son".

No wonder they discount most of Jesus' principles and the foundations of Christianity, and only make reference to those when it suits the WTS's purposes.

It also makes sense that the WTS's publications are viewed as the final authority over the Bible, when this "trinity" is exposed.

Love, Scully

• Gozz
    Gozz

The expression "Jehovah, his Son, and his Organization" has featured quite prominently in some of the more recent articles. It is a trinity. A search of the WT CD ROM could reveal more, that is if someone hasn't done something on that line before. But I recall, faintly, having read something like this on this board.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I suppose it is a trinity of sorts but not in the fashion of THE Trinity (in it's various forms and variations).

The Watchtower Society has, like trinitarians, done a good job of sidestepping the really hard questions about this fabrication of theirs.

• Francois
    Francois

It does seem that the WTBTS is evolving its own concept of the trinity, and the irony of this fact is that it is just because of our free-willed nature - a gift from this very god - that we are able to conceive such a new trinity in the first place.

Isn't it interesting? The ancient teaching of the trinity rejected by the WTBTS is being replaced by a new and improved trinity including themselves.

And even my own understanding of the trinity is not the common one of Christianity. Mine is made up of: God the Father, God the Son (The Eternal Son of Paradise, not Michael a creator son of the local universe), and the Infinite Spirit (who has a personality. The Holy Ghost of our local universe being totally different in function and in personality than this third member of the existential trinity.)

I believe that our resurrection into a universe of love, light and freedom issues from this Great Trinity. And Jesus is not a part of that trinity. Do I get shot now??????

Francois

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome ChristianObserver

You make a very pertinent and relevant point re the Organisation's development of a trinity of its own.

As for the Holy Spirit, perhaps that could stand for the Great Crowd? The relevance they give to the HS is much the same as what they give to the GC.

Just a thought.

• Room 215
    Room 215

How about the WT veneration of Dress, Grooming and Appearance? Or Meetings, Service and Study?

• jwsons
    jwsons

If they are in a Trinity: Three persons (or partnes should have equal authority, same substance, and all eternal__Truth book, page 22). Do they ?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

The Watchtower has written a whole book on the holy spirit. Ask your local Kingdom Hall for a copy.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The organization is God. That is JW theology. Forget about trinities, Jehovah, Jesus, Holy Spirit, any of that. It's all about the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit