6/1/02 WT - Genes, homosexuality and behavior

by Seeker4 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The June 1, 2002 WT has an interesting discussion of whether genetics and our biology have any influence on "alcoholism, homosexuality, promiscuity, violence, other aberrant behavior and..."

Their conclusion? Essentially, they say no. They give an example of a man on pages 11 and 12 that definitely leaves the impression that homosexuality is a learned behavior, a lifestyle choice.

They don't totally exclude some genetic factors, but with subheadings and captions like "The Evidence Against Biology," "Efforts to find genetic causes for human behavior have been unsuccessful," and the line that "This scenario is, however, based on the premise that our genetic endowment is, indeed, the villian responsible for all our sins and errors," - well, it leaves one with a definite impression about their view.

The WTS answer? The Adam and Eve story, of course. Ugh. Get Jehovah's help and get yourself straight - in all of its manifestations.

I have read enough to know that there is some biological basis for our tendencies as humans to "fuck, kill or befriend" most everything or everyone that comes across our path. And the same with alcoholism and homosexuality. Saying these things haven't yet been traced to a particular gene so biology couldn't possibly be much of a factor in behavior, might be a bit premature, considering we've barely decoded human DNA.

Why am I mentioning this? Just disturbed at the simplistic journalism. Has anyone ever heard of a serious scientest trying to prove that genetics are responsible for "...ALL our sins and errors"??? Or saying that we have no personal responsibility for our actions?? Of course not.

And I wonder how all the gay Bethelites feel being told that their "aberrant" homosexual feelings have nothing to do with their biology? And for anyone who wonders about that statement, it is only the practice of homosexual behavior that will get you in trouble in the WTS (as will the practice of unmarried heterosexual behavior). BEING homosexual will not. I have known any number of Witnesses, including Bethelites, who were homosexual.

Anyone else find this WT article just unusually distasteful and reactionary?

S4

• metatron
    metatron

It's hardly worth discussing these articles. The Watchtower
    leadership lives in a world of fantasy that prevents them
    from any realistic analysis.

metatron

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Seeker4-

I actually read it this morning (I have the maghazine with me here at work).
    It made me laugh at how they try to rationalize everything.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Met - Yeah, I know. This one just seemed more pathetic than usual. Read part of it to my wife (a JW) last night in bed. She knew it was nonesense too. Pissed me off more than usual.

Mister Biggs - Jesus, I love your photo!

S4

• SYN
    SYN

Agreed, although calling something written in a Watchtower publication "journalism" would be like calling a hobo an "investment banker".

During a code review, when I asked why there was not a comment in 240,000 lines of code which was getting handed to me for maintenance, the programmer replied, "I'm terse."

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Seeker4,

I just read that last night and I felt the same way. There was no real thought given to the situation as it exist in reality. They always revert back to the Genesis story for all the answers to life's problems.

Ken P.

• b_ster
    b_ster

Next thing they we be telling us is that we will all become white in Paradise.

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

It's so typical of their trying to force fit human behavior into their strained theological beliefs. They totally disregard the mounting scientific evidence that shows a measurable degree of difference in gays' genes vs. straights [e.g., "The Science of Desire", a study of genetic differences of gay males vs. straight males].

As Princess Leia said to the General: "The more you tighten your grip the faster we'll slip through your fingers." Their spiritual stangle-hold on members will work only so far. Eventually, those who really "Awake" from their religious sleep recognize the writings as being nothing more than the rantings of old men totally out of touch with reality and the world around them.

• waiting
    waiting

ok, ok, I just finished Psych 101 - so I know everything.

Now, passed the joking, our prof. has tried to impress upon us that the study of the mind, emotions, etc., is a "new science" - and until 1870, it was mostly not studied at all.

Compared to math, etc., 150 years is no time at all to establish "hard truths" or evidence. Given those guidelines, to totally dismiss any inclination because there's not enough "genetic evidence" is stupid. It's still young, and the studies and information is accumulating, building upon what is discovered and proven.

Again, our prof. has drilled into our head that no one really knows exactly how the mind, body, chemicals & genetics work - let alone passed from one generation to the next.

LOL, the scientific community tends to frown upon New Light every other year on things which were supposed to have been proven.

The WTBTS is sticking their head in the ground.....thus exposing their ass.....which some homosexuals might respond to, btw.

waiting

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Excuse Me. Weren't they the ones telling us that we "inherited" imperfection from Adam and Eve? What is that if it's not genetics?Remember the old "dented bread pan" analogy? Every loaf will come out dented. I too just took Psych and did a lot of reading on nature vs. nurture. The conclusion? Usually both.
    This thinking is so deadly for instance with alcoholics. Tell a brother he's not an alcoholic, it's not a disease, he can have a beer with the boys . . . he could be dead next year. There is much evidence that alcoholism is a family disease. My God, just read some books, or should I say "other books"! What about "Under the Influence" by Ketcham and Milam. Proves conclusively what alcohol does in the alcoholics body that it doesn't do in the non-alcoholic body.
    They are continuing to kill people, discouraging them from looking at the real causes of their problems and from getting help.
    Glad you're here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit