How many here are still active JWs? If not.....

by Leander 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

when did you leave?

What prompted you to doubt/leave the organization?

For those who are still active, do you plan on leaving soon? Do your friends and families have any idea that you have doubts?

For those who have already left how did you go about doing it?

I'm still currently a witness but I plan on leaving towards the end of this year. I know its going to be a really emotional ordeal and I'm dreading the day when I have to inform my wife and my family. Its kind of wierd, just last year my father who I have'nt had contact with for years got reinstated and he's now preaching to me and my younger brother about how the world has nothing to offer. Also last year my younger brother got disfellowshipped, he's currently attending all of the meetings however. I feel kind of strange about the situation, he's trying to get back in and I'm trying to get out. Finally one of my closest cousins recently got reinstated earlier this year. Its been really good to talk to him again (he's been disfellowshipped for 7 or 8 years) but now its look once I leave our reunion will be kind of short lived.

I'm sure a lot of people here have similar stories, its a shame that this religion seems to do more tearing down than building up.

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

you have been refined, but stay !

• Leander
    Leander

Bathory - Why would you suggest I stay?
    The more I think about the things that are taught the more I feel like the bible is'nt telling the real story. My confidence in the bible being reliable is almost gone these days.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I'm still in.
    I'm working on my exodous.
    I still have faith in God, Jesus, and the Bible.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Leander:

I think the problem is more that the JW teaching/interpretation of the bible is lacking - not the bible itself.

Why don't you try reading the bible and studying on your own without the help of JW literature. I started by reading the book of John - it's a great place to start! I found a lot there that I had never learned as a JW. The JW's say you can not understand the bible without the help from the society - that is simply not true! The bible is much clearer without their help.

Also - I found a great book that helped me out in the beginning. It's called (don't laugh) "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible" - title is a crack isn't it?! But it was great - it starts out explaining how the bible got here (ie: from a bunch of manuscripts to a book) and why there are different translations. Then it goes through every book of the bible explaining the stories and putting them in perspective of the times those people lived in. It's not a religious book - no interpretation, just basic bible background.

Now for the issue of leaving. If you disassociate yourself that is a pretty permanent decision. I was disfellowshipped so it was rather easy for me to leave since they kind of booted me out the door .

It sounds like you have a lot of family you want to keep contacts with. Is there any way you can just become "inactive" and quit going to meetings/service without actually disassociating yourself for now? The only reason I suggest this is it may be less harmful emotionally for you in the long run.

• roybatty
    roybatty

I can't imagine anything worse then living a lie. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't want to be a JW but feels a need to stick with just a little while longer. I don't mean this as a slam because I know what you're going through but if you can't be true to yourself, who can you be true to?

• Leander
    Leander

Dawn - One of the reasons I have a doubts about the bible is based on the world we live in today. Basically the bible teaches is that we are children of God so therefore he is our father. We are also taught from the bible that our qualities are a reflection of God's qualities and standards. With that in mind why would a father who truly loved his children allow them to be killed by the millions as a result of one of his other children? Why would a father who is all powerful allow such wickedness to go on for so many years unchecked?

I could go a little further into some other issues but for starters thats one of the reasons why I don't feel the bible is reliable as what I had previously thought.

As far as leaving the truth behind, I seriously doubt that I could just stop attending meetings without a lot of hassle. A few months ago I talked to my wife and some of the elders about doubts I had been feeling. So if I stop going to meetings the first thing that will come to their minds is our previous conversations. Also a lot of my family members are elders, so I already know that they'll be lined up to come visit me once they notice I'm not at the hall. Unfortnately there's no easy way out for me. But I gotta do what I gotta do (as the expression goes)

• Carmel
    Carmel

Leander,

I'm sure you are aware that taken literally the bible is hardly the standard of conduct appropriate for a 21st century citizen. Perhaps if you stepped outside of all religion and looked at the holy books of all the religions you might see them and religion in a different light.

You are likely familiar with the JUU mantra, "Christianity is the only true religion and we are the only true Christians"? It seems you have seen that the last half of it is doubtful, will you also be able to question the first half? You don't have to settle for rejection of all relgion because of a 2000 to 6000 year old tome.

Hope you keep your options wide open.

Carmel

• Leander
    Leander

Carmel, I hate to sound so negative but I've yet to hear about one religion that has'nt had some type of negative effect on people. Of all the thousands of religions over thousands of years there does'nt appear to be even one that can say it has'nt harmed or caused pain in the life of its members. With the current track record of religion I honestly don't see why anyone should have faith in that type of institution.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Come on, now, roybatty.

How can you say "I don't mean this as a slam because I know what you're going through"

and then say...

"I can't imagine anything worse then living a lie...if you can't be true to yourself, who can you be true to?"

Everyone's situation is different. It may be easy for some people to just cease being a JW.
    But for others, there are a lot of variables involved.
    Don't think of it as "living a lie".
    Rather, think of it as a slower pursuit to freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit