Thinking of visiting a Kingdom Hall after 20 years in disguise

by not bitter 23 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I would love a list of changes from 20 years ago to now. Aside from my husband being out for over 30 years, the new couples therapist I found that I am hoping my husband will accept and go with me. he studied about the JW ( studying abusive religions) 20 years ago, but not since. I have learned a lot, and can come up with a good bit my own, but if someone more knowledgeable can list this stuff I would be ever so grateful.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I would love a list of changes from 20 years ago to now. I have learned so much but if someone more knowledgeable than I am has a list, I would be ever so grateful. One reason being I found a new therapist, one that will hopefully be our couples therapist soon ( if my husband agrees) The dr studied abusive religions, JW included, but that was....20 YEARS AGO, and he isn't up to date.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

nonjwspouse - getting your hubby to go to couples counselling with a therapist who studied abusive religions is a great idea - how will you get him to agree?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

not bitter:

It has changed in ways, some subtle, others not so. If you only went for a Sunday talk, you might not notice a difference if you even remember much.

Initially, when you step into the hall, it will seem the same (people smiling, etc.). There is a different songbook and the magazines are skinnier with a WT edition for in-house only. The Tuesday home book studies were cancelled. There are other details I can't recall.

However, there are other subtler differences in the religion you might not pick up on right away. The gatherings from years ago are gone. There is less of a sense of friendship like years ago. There is more paranoia and nosiness. Again, you won't notice this unless you became active again.

To give you an example of what I mean: I saw a taped movie shown on TV from the 1990s (commercials and all). When we watched it again we remarked on how much fewer commercials there were as compared to recent times. We just gradually got used to more of them.

The differences in the religion are there but not evident to a casual observer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit