WT Policy on Deceased Pet Remains

by KiddingMe 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

We will be putting our beloved pet of 13 years to rest soon.

Is there a WT Policy, written or unwritten on what could be done with the ashes after cremation? I assume it's basically the same for pets as with humans but I'm not real clear on what that is. Is it unusual to bring them home in an urn? If not, is it unusual to keep on a mantle or is somewhere less conspicuous more acceptable? Is ok, to bring home bury?

some of my non JW relatives are adamant about remains having a final resting place in the ground so I assume JWs have stricter view point.

I know I should not be concerned with the WT Policy but I know my husband will be, for the remains of his childhood pet were left at the place that did the euthanasia, so that is most likely what he will view as standard. Therefore, I need to figure out how far to press this issue and determine if there is room for compromise. I'm not even for sure what I want but will need to make decisions (and my arguments) fairly quickly.

if there's any other suggestions for a dignified way to do this please let me know?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I cannot think of any WTS policy on what to do with a deceased pet. Keep it in an urn, scatter its ashes, bury it, stuff it, mount it on the fireplace wall - the choice is entirely yours.

I'm sorry you're going to lose your pet.

• sir82
    sir82
    I cannot think of any WTS policy on what to do with a deceased pet.

Only because they haven't gotten around to it yet.

Just give them time!

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thanks AnnOMalley and Sir82.

i don't remember seeing any urns of humans or pets at any JW home, is this uncommon ? Or coincidence?

• blondie
    blondie

*** g72 7/8 pp. 6-8 Getting a Balanced View of Pets ***

Need for Caution

If we are concerned about pleasing God in our lives, there is need for caution with regard to the pets we may have. We may note that a wrong attitude toward the animal creation was involved in the first woman’s fall into rebellion against God. She let herself be swayed by words appearing to come from the mouth of a serpent, a creature instinctively “cautious,” yet still an ‘unreasoning animal.’—Gen. 3:1-6.

Throughout the centuries since, false worship has often involved a wrong view of animal creation. Crocodiles, baboons and bulls have been kept in temples, there being bathed, perfumed and fed the finest of foods, while humans in the same area lived in wretched conditions with hunger. Mighty nations have taken a certain animal or bird as the proud symbol of their government and people, jealously venerating that animalistic symbol.

Even though not deifying an animal as sacred, what if we should treat a pet animal as though it were virtually on a level with humans? What if we showed even greater interest and concern for it than we did for other humans, slighting their interests on behalf of the animal? What if we were willing to go to great lengths and expense to alleviate animal suffering in general but failed to ‘love our neighbor as ourselves’ and compassionately aid others in the way God’s Son did while on earth? (Mark 6:34) In any such case, would this not be putting the animal in a position where it does not belong?

While perhaps rare, cases are reported of persons who let their pet animal sit at the meal table with them and eat from a plate with the human members of the household. Some persons make out wills bequeathing sums running into thousands of dollars for the care of some pet animal. Others will go to great expense to keep alive some aged and diseased animal, even risk endangering the health of others in the home by retaining the animal there.

We may recall that the inspired writer Jude expresses God’s condemnation and judgment of those angels that “did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place,” doing that which was “unnatural” to their spirit nature and divinely assigned status. (Jude 6, 7) When humans attempt to elevate animals to a human level they are, in fact, degrading themselves, not keeping the dignified, superior position in which God originally placed man. At the same time they are putting the animals in a relationship that is “out of place” with God’s purpose, in an “unnatural” one with man.

• L3G
    L3G

As is true so often, blondie, thanks for the reference and quotation.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think I recall something about paying for a plot in a pet cemetery being inappropriate, but I couldn't swear to it.

What if we were willing to go to great lengths and expense to alleviate animal suffering in general but failed to ‘love our neighbor as ourselves’ and compassionately aid others in the way God’s Son did while on earth
    ?

When do the Jehovah's Witnesses ever compassionately aid others? They make it pretty clear everyone's time should be spent in the ministry, when would they ever have time to do true charitable work? Handing out magazines is not charitable work, nor does it help our neighbors in any concrete way.

I have the ashes of two of my former pets right now, I am planning to plant a tree in their honor and give them a final resting place. As beloved members of the family for many years, they have earned a place in my heart.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thanks Blondie for the reference. It seems to capture the sentment of most JWs I know on this. Although, this is from 41 years ago and the rights of animals have vastly improved since then, the attitude still seems to be the same.

In the Old Testament animals were the "perfect sacrifice" only being replaced by Jesus as the ultimate sacrifice. I guess since they are no longer needed for sacrifice, thier inferior position make them not even worthy of the dignity given to us humans at the time of death, as if you are idolizing your pet, that's been a part of your family. I've seen JWs with deer heads hanging on their walls (which I have no personal issue), but I guess that's different.

LisaRose, you are so on point. I don't even get the attempt to connect failure to do charitable work and your expense to alleviate animal suffering, why are they even referenced together? If that's the case why even go to the expense of having a pet for failure to do charitable work? or any expense ifor that matter?

Lisa I think your plan for honoring you pet is great and appropriate, it brings tears to my eyes.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

However you honour your pet's remains is entirely up to you. It is no one's business, jw or otherwise. Do what you feel is best for you. I honour my deceased birds with burial in the garden, and my cats by keeping photos.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The JW policy on cremation (of humans) is that it's a personal matter, but that they should consider local community funeral customs and avoid 'stumbling' others. There is no specific 'policy' about cremating pets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit