UK Elders. Recommendation Letters.. Freedom of Information Act.

by kramer 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kramer
    kramer

From my experience, elders dont want to reveal the contents of a recommendation letter. But as each congregation is a legally constituted charity and hence public body they are open to all the disclosure obligations of other public bodes. Do any UK Elders or Ex Elders have any experience of people who demanded or wanted to see their recommendation letters, or who have gone through the process of a freedom of information request to get to see these?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Not in my time. The S8 form was discontinued when the FOIA came out.

• kramer
    kramer

thanks for the reply cantleave, the S8 is the form to record interest or not at homes of members of the public,... I am referring to the letters sent between congregation secretaries when a publisher moves congregations.

• tim hooper
  • krejames
    krejames

In the UK the Freedom of Information Act only relates to public authorities (i.e. tax-payer funded organisations). FOI does not apply to personal information.

I think maybe you're thinking of the data protection act 98. Under that Act anyone can request a copy of ALL their own personal information held by ANY organisation (not just public sector) except in very limited circumstances e.g. if the information would tip you off that you're about to be arrested for a crime. You just need to write a letter and request it (they have the right to chargeyou up to £10). It would be a criminal offence if they destroyed any information after you have requested it. It's possible that the letter of recommendation would fall under an odd exemption which relates to references (e.g. job references), which means the person who gave the reference doesn't need to disclose it but the person who received it must provide it. My gut feeling is that the elders are advised by the WT to destroy these kind of letters as soon as they have served their purpose.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The S8 form is back in fashion. We were sent a box of about 10,000 a couple of years ago with our literature order, not requested.

Maybe the society just found a few million lying around and sent each congregation a box or two.

George

• jgnat
    jgnat

I double-checked, and krejames is right on the money. The link below shows how to request this information. I, personally, would like to see the WTS held more accountable for all the records they generate and retain on their volunteers.

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I know of a guy who requested his, and got back quite a bit, including the Report done on him at the Ministerial Training School. What they did not send back was the form sent by his J.C to H.Q, U.K saying he had been DF'd

The WT does not like to admit that it keeps this info, and keeps it forever. They are in breach of the Law by not sending it back, but he could not be bothered to pursue them over it, mores the pity.

• Simon
    Simon
    The WT does not like to admit that it keeps this info, and keeps it forever. They are in breach of the Law by not sending it back, but he could not be bothered to pursue them over it, mores the pity.

Still, if they omit it then it means they can't whip it out in future without breaking the law because they have then clearly witheld it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I guess that's right Simon, but the sneaky WT will still use that info if they need or want to, without disclosing the existence of the written material, in flagrant disregard of the Act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit