A major change in the new song book I initially overlooked

by slimboyfat 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Good observations everyone. I have noticed the same thing, but to see all the changes commented on in one place is very convincing. I personally think it has a lot to do with making the songbook acceptable to different cultures and languages. After all, some of the hymns in the US from the 1800's had a military theme, so didn't sound too much out of place in the WT heartland in the early part of the last century. But you take the same words, translate to Swahili and try to get an African audience to sing it... I'm sure there were some awkward moments.

On another related note, the song 'Shulamite Maiden' has had the words completely changed, though the tune remains in the new songbook. I'm sure it is because the words were a little too explicit, even though they came right from the Song of Solomon.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah many good songs have been totally wrecked in the new song book. It's like the GB are systematically taking anything that was even remotely good in this religion (food at conventions, large social gatherings, book studies in homes, tuneful songs) and getting rid of them.

Dark days are here, man lives in fear, with dire expectation ... right enough.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

The music is a joke since the new book came out. Especially when they start using youngsters to sing them... boy, does it give the pedophiles in the bOrg a good time... they LOVEEEEEEE the new teaching songs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit