EdX, Harvard, Berkeley, MIT Offers Free Online Course on Pauline Letters

by Band on the Run 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I heard about Coursera but in today's New York Times there was an article about massive online courses offered by universities. The three above universities started free courses before Coursera. As I scrolled down the course list, I noticed that a course in Paul's writings is offered soon. There is no college credit. Nevertheless, it should be stimulating and touch upon the major controversies surrounding Pauline scholarship. I prefer academic courses b/c no church doctrine interferes with the teaching. Well, no overt church doctrine. We are all members of our culture.

Coursera has allowed me to learn many things without too much investment in time. One can approach these courses at all levels. The lectures alone are interesting. Sometimes there is reading. The profs. usually list their favorite textbooks for students who wish to study more. There is concern that once enough people like the experience, these courses will offered on a fee based model. There may be other NT or History of Christianity courses.

I know the Teaching Company also offers course in Church Fathers, etc. The price is high, though. My local library purchased many of the course offerings. I assume other libraries are also purchasing these teaching courses.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sorry for the verb discrepancy.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Band, for many of us access to free education is of vital importance. I do pay for some stuff, but you have reminded me that much is available for free, or at little cost.

As to the Pauline and Deutero-Pauline letters there seems to be a consensus of opinion that agrees mostly on which is which, but of course the content and agenda etc of all of them is interesting.

Another area that I am quite hazy on is Pauline Christology, I know broadly his views, but I must look out for more stuff on that, it strikes me his vision of Christ is very different from that of many of todays Christians, and has little to do with the Jesus presented to us in the Gospels.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Cool! Thanks for the info.

• losingit
    losingit

Looking this up today! Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit