My Review for Terry's new book, "I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon, A Prisoner of Conscience in a Time of War"

by AndersonsInfo 30 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Grappling with Conscience

A must read, I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon,A Prisoner of Conscience in a Time of War, is an important self-portrait of a naïve young man, Terry Walstrom, who in 1967 thought he was obeying his conscience when he refused to take up arms and kill. Inasmuch as he was a conscientious objector, Walstrom could have availed himself of noncombatant service in the military, but he was opposed to that arrangement. Under the circumstances, his Ft. Worth, Texas, draft board offered him alternative service to do “work of national importance under civilian direction” at Terrell State Hospital which he also refused.

At no time was Walstrom’s choice, “Go to Viet Nam or go to prison.” Rather, it was, accept community service or go to prison. This choice is really the heart of Walstrom’s narrative. Why didn’t he take what was offered?

Walstrom was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and to them any community service work was merely a substitute for military service, therefore unacceptable. Later, he was stunned to learn that he had endured imprisonment along with unspeakable abuse and humiliation for an arbitrary religious policy. As he grappled with the aftermath of examining the whys of his choices and after researching the history of the religion he chose when a youngster, Walstrom realized that all of Jehovah’s Witnesses religious policies are not, as claimed, an option of conscience for believers.

Walstrom’s narrative bursts with perceptive self-scrutiny and thoughtful reflection on the issues of war and conscience mixed with wry humor. When the unapprised reader walks through the door into Walstrom’s world of personal discovery, upon exiting, this complex tale will be a cause for reflection concerning the harm a seemingly harmless religion has caused to believers and non-believers alike since its founding in 1879.

Barbara Anderson

The above Review is one I want to post on Amazon.com. Terry is one of our favorite writers here on JWN and his book is one of those, "Can't put down the book" stories. Over the many years we were JWs, Joe and I met quite a number of JWs that went to prison rather than in anyway serve in the military, but very few of them wanted to share their personal account of what happened in prison.

Thank you, Terry, for telling us about what usually nobody wants to talk about.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks for posting this. is it available on amazon and how many pages does it have? I like short books

• Terry
    Terry

Thank you, Barbara!

I want everybody to know that Barbara gave me excellent advice about putting more of a punch into my summations.

In my effort to NOT write a polemical attack attack attack style book I had overlooked how necessary it was--after presenting

facts and evidence--to slow roast the Society in no uncertain terms and give a "call to action" for on-the-fence still-in's.

I think I have a much better ending thanks to her!

I lay responsibility on Rutherford for the unnecessary and inhumane cheerleading he did throwing so many faithful Brothers and Sisters under

the Nazi bus and creating considerable danger for JW's in the U.S. as well.

So many good-hearted people in the history of Jehovah's Witnesses thought they were being persecuted because they were the True religion, when, in fact--they were egged-on and urged to make a public nuisance of themselves indiscriminately insulting other religious people and hearlessly mocking the core

beliefs of patriots, families who had lost loved ones in the war and denying human rights inside their own Kingdom Halls.

They need to OWN that and admit it out loud!

Once a former believer sees the Truth about the Truth and leaves (or is kicked out) I try to turn them toward public service, which I believe, is the purest form of "true religion" in visiting the sick, the down-hearted, the hopeless and abandoned among mankind---instead of making idiotic promises created by cartoonists in Bethel!

Anyway...read the book and make up your own mind!

• Terry
    Terry

Thanks for posting this. is it available on amazon and how many pages does it have? I like short books

The book is 218 pages in the 6x9 trade paperback edition. It has illustrations, too.

The e-book is available for nook.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/m0rtslaw

For some strange reason, it takes awhile for availability on Amazon. The above link is order-ready presently.

But, if you want a PDF for your KINDLE just contact me at [email protected]

I've had several people tell me they couldn't put the book down! I guess it must be the Super-glue I put in the ink

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Congratulations to you for completing the book. I hope it gets a wide audience. I'll put a link on my facebook page so a few more people can hear about it.

• LV101
    LV101

Congratulations, Terry. I love your writing and hope it's a great success. I will order on Amazon.

LV101

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

This is wonderful Terry, the best kinda roast is slow roast I can't wait to read it!

• smiddy
    smiddy

I look forward to reading your book Terry . Here in Australia we had a ballot system as to who was called up based on your birthdate . I was fortunate enough to be exempt from service . At the time I wasn`t a witness untill a couple of years later . I hate to think what my life would have been like if I was called up at that time .I was a firm beleiver when I became a witness .I would have done anything.

smiddy

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

great - superglue ink lol.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I just purchased it and looking forward to reading it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit