OTWO, Careers and Life Changes

by laverite 9 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

OTWO,

I keep thinking that after you retire from your current field (it's fire fighting, I think?), you will still be very young and able to have a full second career. Have you ever considered becoming a licensed therapist? Your background, experiences, and perspectives would be very invaluable. I know you have experience as a client of psychotherapeutic services, but have you ever considered becoming a therapist yourself?

You would seem like a perfect fit for this job. What do you think of it as a second career option? In retirement, part-time? I love the idea of someone like you ou there as a psychotherapist helping people.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Wow, it's like JWN was calling me. I had left and wasn't coming back, but I was researching a medical condition that is new to me (Gout) and I finished and decided to check JWN again.

I started late in my current field (at age 35) and personal circumstances in my youth- reckless alcoholic with no career plans- kept me from having any money. Later, being led to think that the end of "this system" was so close that I should focus on just getting by and not planning for retirement allowed me to waste another nearly 10 years until they changed "generation" and I realized I needed a career and a retirement plan. It took another 5 years after the generation change to get my current career.

So, the point is that I became a firefighter at age 35, as a G.E.D. recipient with no college. I will need to stay until the madatory retirement age of 63 to have a decent retirement plan. Despite aiding my wife to get her master's degree, she won't be much help beyond social security in the retirement department as she still invests time in being a JW.

I am not complaining. I am just answering your thoughts. That does give me time to become a a licensed therapist. It is not out of the question, but I would be establishing a practice part time in my very early 60's and I just don't know that I have it in me. It's one thing to pass on my experience to other ex-JW's and join the many voices of advice. It's quite another thing to be the main source of wisdom/advice/guidance for people in trouble. Let me say why.

I was a mess when I "found" the religion of JW's. I did not deal with my demons until after fading, two decades later. I saw that after making a mess of my life, I made the terrible mistake of joining a cult. In that cult, I was chosen as an elder, someone in religious circles that is similar to a therapist, but with no real training or background in this case. While I have become "content with my regrets" (a line in a Rascal Flatts song) I have decided not to pursue advancement in the fire dept. because of my past. I do not desire to be the lead decision maker for a team of people in a dangerous situation, where their lives may depend on my decisions. I will make those decisions if need be in a situation, but I don't plan to regularly be that guy.

That said, I can't see that I might want to be in a similar position as a therapist. If I missed something and someone were to hurt themself under my care, I would probably blame myself heavily.

But thanks for the vote of confidence.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I would definitely let you psychoanalyze me OTWO

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks, Ldrnomo. I think I already got your number.

If I wasn't clear, I believe I have made plenty of irrational decisions in my past. Then a cult said I could aid others.

I could have decided to take a "Steve Hassan" path, but I just don't have the confidence in my ability to be that guy.

I am still occasionally seeing a therapist. Maybe things will change over the next 5 years or so.

• laverite
    laverite

OTWO, I can understand your reluctance. The thing is, never say never. You have so many of the skills that would be useful for a practicing psychotherapist. In fact, your very reluctance to take on jobs where you must make decisions that could impact others' lives makes you even more suitable. That very concern, reluctance and the fact that it gives you pause is a giant plus for such a career. Whether that career path would be desirable for you or not, I sure can't help but think of the many faceless people who could benefit from having you do that kind of work.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo
    Thanks, Ldrnomo. I think I already got your number.

Now I'm dying to know what my number is. Will you accept me as your first client?

You know I tease but seriously, you are very easy to talk to and very approachable (sorry to use that elder lable phrase) but you are one hell of a great guy.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

...your very reluctance .... makes you even more suitable.

You mean like the girl on a first date who is just too eager to make it work out and says her intentions?
    You mean like the guy who wants to be an elder soooo badly, and they appoint the guy who doesn't really seem to want the job?

I get it, but I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

Now I'm dying to know what my number is. Will you accept me as your first client?

I think I am better off just saying I was trying to be funny and blow some smoke. I would hate to misguide you.
    I will say that you are an awesome person with a love for a zest of life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have no grown children, so no grandchildren - thanks to WTS - the end being so close and not a good time to have children.

So I see this as my next career:

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think literally saving people's lives while risking your own has a lot of intrinsic and extrinsic value. That's enough giving for any lifetime. See you on the beach!

• laverite
    laverite

JWDaughter -- I agree with you completely. It IS enough giving for one lifetime. And, OTWO really deserves that beach "career."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit