Did you ever volunteer at or visit Bethel? What were your impressions when you were in the WBTS vs. now (looking back)?

by Poindexter Lionel Humperdique 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry

Went to Bethel several times and ate with the bethelites. Didn't see anything unusual other than everthing being highly organized. We got a private tour from a young black brother who was a real comedian. Went up on the rooftop and got a good view of the Brooklyn Bridge. Several other people were hanging out there that night.

• minimus
    minimus

i remember this: as a little kid, my mom said, " look! You can ear right off the floor. This place is so clean." That's it!

• Poindexter Lionel Humperdique
    Poindexter Lionel Humperdique

LL,

Thanks for sharing. Would you happen to know where we can find the book you mentioned? I'd like to read it.

• NCO
    NCO

Went as a guest worker to the Watchtower Farm in the 80's when I was 16. That cured me of any desire to serve there.

• blondie
    blondie

I went to a congregation within 30 miles of Wallkill. Out of 70 publishers, 30 were Bethelites. Out of 12 elders, only 3 were local. It was educational; instead of being more loving, that congregation had a feud going with the congregation that shared the KH. Socially, things were divided into the haves and the have nots. Families with children were shunned by the single couples from Bethel. There were 4 single parent families where one had married a Bethelite and divorced. In each case the wife was barely 18 when the wedding took place. I worked as a commuter Bethelite and observed how Bethel wives avoided doing any work and were switched around because their husbands had important skills. I saw jealousy rampant between couples at Bethel. I realized that these "spiritual giants" were not any better than the people I had left behind at my last congregation. I saw underage drinking amongst the single Bethel brothers, deceit and hiding what they were. I remember one elder chastisting 2 of them as being members of the Sister of the Month Club.

It was the beginning of my exit.

• SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker
    SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker

Why is Bethel so important to Jehovah's Witnessees instead of the Holy Land of Isreal or Asia Minor and Egypt where the men of faith lived and came from? I can't tell you how many times my wife said it would change my outlook if I would just visit Bethel and see how the Organization is run. Honestly, I would rather visit Hershey's Chocolate Factory and eat my weight in yummy chocolate bars and talk with real people, instead of a fake "House of God". She can visit Bethel, have lunch since one of her friends are part of the team above. Bethel grand scheme of working their free labor into the ground, there is nothing kindly about the Yoke those jokers put all their slaves through! (Matthew 18:20-36)

Perry, have you been to Isreal or other areas where the real Apostles of God and Jesus Christ walked and toured? It's insane how often the subject "Bethel Heals All Ills" is thrown at the brothers and sisters, the new Bethel Hotel and amusement park. What is the big deal about Bethel, how will it change the way I feel about all the lies I was told as a JW?

Has anyone experienced "The Bethel Syndrome"? That's when a group from your Kingdom Hall come back after staying at Bethel for two or three weeks and pretend they are glowing like Moses did when he viewed the portion of God he was allowed to see without dying. Brothers come back from Bethel and pretend they were at Mount Sinia listening to Moses preach directly from God and we hear about their super spiritual transfiguration they witnesses while watching young men package up books or have lunch and dinner with the Governing Body. The syndrome is capable of lasting for months, I am happy now I have never been to Bethel or Patterson. What's the big deal seeing a factory, why not visit "Ben and Jerry's", "Mars Bar", "Hershey Chocolate Factory" and get something to take home to your friends instead of a big ego and the "I am holy now for visiting Bethel" now! Good Grief!

• Poindexter Lionel Humperdique
    Poindexter Lionel Humperdique

L3G,

Yes. The pace at Bethel is rather maniacal indeed. That's interesting how the brother staying at your home maintained the same "bethel" pace. When I was there, I viewed the Bethel lifestyle as an institutionalized one. Everybody doing mostly everything at the same time (morning worship, eating, working hours, etc), and doing so at a rushed pace.

• HayDay
    HayDay

I visited the London branch in 2005, it was about what I expected it to be. I felt sad for this 20 something guy we met working the presses after I told him I was on a fun holiday around Europe for two months -his face looked like he wanted to run away.

By the way, has anyone ever been to the Mormon temple tour in Salt Lake City? You will freak out! It's exactly like Bethel -exactly! That creeped me out much more than ever...(shudders)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit