Million Dollar Financial Fraud involving Watsonville Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

by jwleaks 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

JW Leaks has published court documents relating to the million dollar financial fraud involving Rodney Hatfield and the Watsonville Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in California, USA.

These court documents include the sealed 2009 Indictment, Rodney Hatfield's plea bargain dated January 30, 2013, and the Criminal Minutes Sentencing Order summary dated September 16, 2013. Hatfield was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison in connection with his role in a conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

In pleading guilty on January 30, 2013, Hatfield admitted that he conspired with his co-defendant to obtain money from investors by means of materially false representations about the value of their investment accounts. Hatfield admitted that he defrauded members of his own Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation in Watsonville, California. As part of the conspiracy, he solicited millions of dollars in investment money from his fellow congregants and others to invest in Landmark Trading Company, LLC (“Landmark”), a company he and his co-defendant had set up as a holding company for the purpose of trading in foreign currency exchange.

Initially, Landmark did engage in some legitimate currency trades on behalf of its investors; however, the company quickly began to run a negative return on its trading activity. Rather than accurately report this negative trading activity to investors, Hatfield and his co-defendant distributed false reports to investors in e-mails that their trading accounts were profitable and increasing in value. While some investors did receive all or most of their principal back, Hatfield admitted his actions resulted in a net loss to investors of more than $1 million.

In his Plea Bargain, Hatfield stated:

"I agree that I am guilty of the offence to what I am pleading guilty, and I agree that the following facts are true: From January 2004 through December 23, 2008 . . . I defrauded members of my own Jehovah's Witness congregation in Watsonville, California. With the assistance of Myers I solicited my fellow congregants and others."

The sentence was handed down by the Honorable Edward J. Davila, United States District Court Judge, following a guilty plea on the first count of the indictment, a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1349. Judge Davila also sentenced the defendant to three years of supervised release following his term of imprisonment. Judge Davila did not impose a fine in light of the defendant’s financial circumstances. However, Judge Davila set a hearing for November 8, 2013, to determine the amount of restitution as well as set a reporting date for Hatfield to begin serving his sentence.

www.jwleaks.org

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Thank you for sharing.

He was just fleecing his flock...

At least he didn't ask them to kiss his ring. lol

JW's all over the world, willingly bend over, each and every month, faithfully giving their hard earned cash away to WatchTower.

This congo thought they could trust this guy because he was "our brother... and JW's never lie". FacePalm

LoisLane

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Nothing surprises me anymore. There is a sucker born every minute.

• Glander
    Glander

Google "Joel Ward Forex fraud"

He should be getting out of prison soon.

JW all the way.

His victims were JW family and friends.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

He will be interviewed at the next DC for starting a prison study.

• Poindexter Lionel Humperdique
    Poindexter Lionel Humperdique

This should be featured on an episode of American Greed. Thanks for sharing - very interesting.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Did either Hatfield or Myers have any positions of responsibility or trust in the congregation?

• Violia
    Violia

I looked up Joel ward and he brazenly asked the judge to be allowed to remain out of prison so he could pay back the folks he defrauded. apparently 53 or about 90 people were OK with it. Judge said "NO'. Next to immorality , fraud / theft is a big problem in the org. Of course it is a problem everywhere but you have so little recourse with jws. Never do business with jws.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

the holy spirit allowed him to attend the meetings but jegoober exposed him. the scmucks who got skrewed were just materialistic folks who got what they deserve for worring about finances. what is a dollar in the new system?

• Glander
    Glander

The Ward case involved $11 million. He was DF'd. Any time it comes up they want everyone to know he's not a JW. Sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit