JW's planning for retirement

by FirstLastName 22 Replies latest social family

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

Saving for retirement is not going so well with many of the Witnesses with jobs without any pensions or IRAs.

The Watchtower has pushed this scripture as they suck all the funds for themselves they misquote this passage. Your Pension plan with go up 10 fold if you send us all your cash! How can it go up ten-fold if the Watchtower has all their retirement money? Jehovah never told us to send all our money to men who teach a stranger "good news".

"

10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so that there will be food enough in my Temple; if you do, I will open up the windows of heaven for you and pour out a blessing so great you won’t have room enough to take it in!

“Try it! Let me prove it to you! 11 Your crops will be large, for I will guard them from insects and plagues. Your grapes won’t shrivel away before they ripen,” says the Lord Almighty. 12 “And all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land sparkling with happiness. These are the promises of the Lord Almighty." Malachai 3 TLB

• sspo
    sspo

For the 140 years they have been waiting for this system to end and it has not come, old timers dying off and they all realize they better think about retirement and putting some money aside.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

First of all, the only reason there is an issue is because of the lack of personal boundaries in the Jehovah's Witness religion.

Everybody there has chronic diarrhea of the mouth and can't shut the hell up about anything they do!

I always felt it was NOBODY's business what I did with my money. So, why on earth would I go around advertising "hey, everybody, I opened up an IRA and put $___ into it every month, etc."???

I was 29 years old when I realized I had better get started doing something about saving for retirement. I didn't go around telling anybody or making a survey. I just went ahead and did it. I am sure I was not alone in my thinking.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

When I was growing up in the 60's all the kids parents I grew up with are mostly gone but after they retired some ofthem retired and relocated to another state, you can't do that if you didn't put a little something away every week,they definitely had retirement plans, including my parents as well, my parents got to travel after retirement as did a few other retirees in the Congs in our area, so I guess they preached about the Big A coming any minute, but yet but something aside, smart move.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Shirley:

You are right. They had to put something away in order to make their dream happen. The bible says that the lowly ant stores up things. Why not humans?

I am of the opinion that it is a case of misery loves company that urged certain busybodies in the religion to tell other more prudent JWs that they shouldn't bother to save. (Brother Busybody is living on the edge and it irks him that Brother Prudent (with a decent job) is putting money away.)

It's just plain old jealousy disguised as being "more theocratic".

• steve2
    steve2

Brothers and sisters, if my faith is strong enough to leave my future in Jehovah's hands by not planning for retirement (when we'll be in the new system), your faith should be too!

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LHG, I couldn't agree with you more. In another thread about the appearent sadness within the RandF my observation was that there are 2 main catagories of JWs. #1: The uber believiers who obey each and every rule and suggestion from the leadership. THESE are the weary, sad, and unprepared ones. And like you said, tend to want more company. So they but into others business trying to find some infraction especially among those who seem more happy #2: The ones who do their own thing when away from the KH. These KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT and associate ONLY with like minded ones. They have more education, better jobs, take vacations, and plan/planned for retirement. These dubs are usually born in thus they have a big family support system. These are the happiest of dubs. .

• blondie
    blondie

My jw family never planned for the end in 1975. All made retirement plans. They would say, "Jesus said it would be at a time you think not, so if you think it is coming in 1975, NOT." They did not buy into the organizational mantra and managed to say in "good standing."

Most of them have died but they did not have to worry about money...they had good retirement plans.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I realized that this thinking of saving for your future took off a few years after 1975. Before that date, everyone was just about trying to pioneer, or get some recoqnition in the JW cong.

It wasn't openly broadcast to one another about taking a night course, or investing in business, People who did so were judged and gossipped against. They are the ones now laughing at the gossipers. They are sitting on a nice retirement as they see the economic picture of those who lived in a fool's paradise struggle.

• zeb
    zeb

Steve 2. Do you have car or house insurance?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit