F****** with Missionary Couple - they want me to call back!

by BluePill2 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

How often have Witnesses knocked on your door since you left the Borg? How often did they talk to you during street witnessing? Anything? In the past 4 years I have never been visited (live in a new area where nobody knows about my witness past, urban area, highly densed witness communities around).

This week I almost had to force them to preach. I was sitting outside, waiting for someone. They where sitting right next to me and taking notes about return visits. I look over and smile. See that they have tracts and brochures in their hands and try to look curiously. Nothing. They just sit there and do the small talk. After a while I approach them and ask: "Excuse me, now I have to ask, what language are you two talking? I can't recognize it" (This is a capital city in Europe and we have hundreds of foreigners living here - mostly immigrants and students). They said it was Danish. Both seemed pretty uninterested to preach.

God dammit, I have some spare time and WAN'T them to start preaching. I want some fun...

I will spare you the details and share the most interesting parts of this weird conversation. I am not making this up and will not embellish this in any way, but after they finished preaching to me I thought that if that is the Best they have these days, than they can pack up, their done, finished. I am talking here about people that came all the way to my country and are supposed to be better than the run of the mill witness.

I used a lot of joking names like: "the magical sky dude", "the hairy guy in the sky" - the girl giggled a couple of times, her husband looked grimmly at her and his look could kill. He interrupted her a couple of times and treated her like some dumb, stupid girl.

He seriously told me: "It is very easy to participate in our group." I asked: "So, what are the requirements to be one of you?" He laughed and said: "oh, nothing complicated, basically you have to avoid getting drunk and taking drugs."

I told him: "But, look around you (we where midst of a busy shopping street) the mayority of these folks here follow those rules and are not in your religious group." No answer.

At the Beginning they said that they where here doing "some special work". I asked them what it was and they asked if I had ever heard about Jehovahs Witnesses. I said: "No. What is it?" Seriously, he answers: "it is something like a Christian group, only different"

I almost choked. What? So describe it. He says: "It is a bit complicated and we wouldn't have time to explain it all to you" I said that I had plenty of time and that they have my full attention, because I am curious. They started stuttering around and looking at each other and the best idea was to whip the Bible out and say that they had a Bible verse they would like to read to me and ask me what I think (Matthew 24:3-7).

And THIS after I told them clearly that I am an Atheist and don't think the Bible is a holy Book. I also told them that they must like the Catholics a lot. They asked me why and I answered that they are carrying a book around and using a name for god that was pretty much established and decided by them. Blank looks.

They also didn't knew what the Council of Nicaea was and said they have to look it up (face palm).

At the end they wanted to finish this conversation as fast as they could and gave me a tract adding the words: "We know this is not deep stuff, as you seem to be a person that likes to think, but nonetheless you will like it" He scribled the Borgs new website address on the back (said the other url wasn't up to date) and also his phone number. Asked me to call them if I have interest. Never asked for my name, my address or anything else. He mentioned a couple of times that they are not a religion and that they don't have an organization, that the Witnesses just follow purely the Bible.

During the whole conversation I maintained a relaxed and funny spirit and was never confrontational. This was an eye opener. I don't think they where Gilead missionaries as their general knowledge was in the hole - they just presented themselves as missionaries, no doubt becasue that sounds better than "Something Pioneer" which is not understandable.

Conclusion: pretty lousy preachers these days. The glorious days of quick Bible thumbers and razor sharp arguments are long gone. Sad days ahead.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

No not sad days ahead but good days. There's hope that because of the dumbing down of the message and the JW's themselves that they will no longer be able to talk people in to believing their crap. This religion needs to go bye bye.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

I like your last sentence. The earlier the merrier.

Somehow I felt sorry for them. Here they are doing the same I did a couple of years ago, maybe full of doubts, maybe believing it all and I know it's so wrong and that there is another Life out there. I hated to see them wasting their time. At least i burned enough time that they could have used on someone else.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I have not seen a JW in the 20 years since I left (other than family). I finally had a tract left at my door, but I doubt they even rang the bell, because I was home at the time they left the tract. I would love to have a friendly chat with someone...probably wouldn't tell them I am DF'ed because that would end the conversation immediately. I wonder if I will ever get a chance?...

Good job Blue...kind of a disappointing witness, but I suspect this might be the new realty in JW World!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

He says: "It is a bit complicated and we wouldn't have time to explain it all to you"

THen why the Hell is he standing out there getting his time in if he can't be bothered to explain why he's standing there ! ! !

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Missed opportunity:

You: "Hmm, it's awfully strange that you two don't seem to know much about the religion you claim to represent. I work for the Homeland Police and I would like you to come with me for questioning as possible spies."

Couple: "But we're Jehovah's Witnesses, we swear!"

You: "Oh yeah? ...Then tell me, what did your Daily Text have to say this morning? You do read it every day, don't you?"

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Some people want to save lives, some people just want to get their hours in then be left alone in peace..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I almost choked. What? So describe it.

He says: "It is a bit complicated and we wouldn't have time to explain it all to you"

Translation..

.............................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

This is what the WT gets when all they want are "hours". Nothing more.

So you get people unmotivated, with no ambition, just going thru the motions.

The JWs are a product of their leaders. Results like this come from idiots running the business. And they wonder why they have no growth and no money coming into Brooklyn any more.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Conclusion: pretty lousy preachers these days. The glorious days of quick Bible thumbers and razor sharp arguments are long gone. Sad days ahead

Blue Pill, maybe the people who knew the Bible and had razor sharp minds have all left. Good news.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit